LM17 32bit LMDE

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
IanDSamson

LM17 32bit LMDE

Post by IanDSamson »

The main reason I have Lubuntu installed is because the Linux Mint .iso does not contain the required mintWifi drivers. This is plainly obvious when booting from USB-HDD. In this day & age, and more especially since LM is from a so-called 1st World country, making wireless connectivity is a prerequisite, not an optional extra. To reason that every machine is connected to the router via an ethernet cable from either the onboard LAN port or an add-in card is worse than 3rd World thinking, and the .iso makes no provision for wireless connectivity.

Oh well, until 17.1 is released that will, hopefully, have rectified this issue, I will have to remain on Lubuntu as much as it pains me to do so.

Tut-tut! Not good. Not a good advertisement for the 32-bit companion to the 64-bit that I'm using to write this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: LM17 32bit LMDE

Post by karlchen »

Hello, IanDSamson.

Question in advance:
Your title says "LM17 32bit LMDE". Which one really? "LM 17 32-bit" or "LMDE"? Makes the difference between Linux Mint 17, Ubuntu based, main edition, and LMDE, Linux Mint Debian Edition.

On the missing wifi support:
I cannot quite follow you there. I have used the Linux Mint 17 32-bit live system on my Acer Aspire One netbook, and I could connect to my DSL router wirelessly out of the box. In addition I have installed Linux Mint 17 32-bit Cinnamon on my Zotac computer, and I could connect to my DSL router wirelessly out of the box, during the installation process and later on on the installed LM 17 system.
Therefore I do not quite understand what the mintWifi drivers are which are missing from the installation system.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Networking”