[Solved] Mint 17 Keeps Dropping Network Connection

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
White Phoenix
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 17 Keeps Dropping Network Connection

Post by White Phoenix »

Linux 17 is all installed and everything (for the important parts) is green and go. The network still gets dropped, but not as often.

The script file keeps getting saved under root and non-executable instead of whitephoenix and executable. i had to change the permissions and run ./wireless_script_mod again.

Haven’t checked Opera yet to see if I wind up downloading empty messages with no subject.

Nintendo hates me. 8-(
Linux Mint 18.3 / Cinnamon
Toshiba Satellite L655d-S5151 (Intel dual processor, 64bit, 4GB RAM)
Dell Optiplex 3010 (Intel dual processor, 64bit, 4GB RAM, dual boot with Windows 7 Pro w/XP Mode
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

and where is the output ? :lol:
no Nintendo loves your money (and you)
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: Mint 17 Keeps Dropping Network Connection

Post by JeremyB »

White Phoenix wrote:Linux 17 is all installed and everything (for the important parts) is green and go. The network still gets dropped, but not as often.

The script file keeps getting saved under root and non-executable instead of whitephoenix and executable. i had to change the permissions and run ./wireless_script_mod again.

Haven’t checked Opera yet to see if I wind up downloading empty messages with no subject.

Nintendo hates me. 8-(
I haven't changed the script in 20 hours so you should just need to enter

Code: Select all

./wireless_script_mod
or run the entire command without sudo since you obviously are running the command from your home folder
Neuraleanus

Post by Neuraleanus »

I just install Linux Mint 17 Mate onto a Toshiba laptop and I'm having the same problem as OP, wireless connections are dropped at random times. I changed the channel of the router to one that no one near me is using and I'm only a few feet from it, so interferance cannot be the problem. This laptop is using the the Realtek RTL8188CE chip with the rtl8192ce driver. Is there an updated driver?
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

@Neuraleanus,

best would be to open your own thread as you may not have the exact same hw so the steps for you may be different.
The driver in linux is included in the kernel. Depending on your kernel it is probably the latest one.
you could still try this link. (your model does not seem to be supported directly by Realtec)
http://www.realtek.com.tw/Downloads/dow ... wn=false#2
White Phoenix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by White Phoenix »

Yeah, forgot I had to post the link. Here it is. http://pastebin.com/NREARdXU

Doesn’t make up for leaving the new modem I bought this morning on the bus (or somewhere). I just noticed it missing. I was too tired and had too many packages to notice when I got home. Too late to call today, so I will have to wait till tomorrow and hope it was turned in.
Dell Optiplex 3010 (Intel dual processor, 64bit, 4GB RAM, dual boot with Windows 7 Pro w/XP Mode
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

must be really tired, you pasted by my own link not the one created by the script.
Take some rest, it's not the time to do a mistake.
White Phoenix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by White Phoenix »

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/8130558/

I did have sleep, just not enough apparently. I slept all night last night. Should be good now for at least 4-6 hours.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

really crowed around you.
So you are using lockwood and channel 3 let's see what's else is around.

Code: Select all

sudo iwlist wlan0 scan | grep Frequency | sort | uniq -c | sort -n
also what is your router lockwood (brand and model)
White Phoenix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by White Phoenix »

copy and right click in terminal to paste them so no mistakes.
I missed that advice. Yes, this makes everything a lot easier, even if someone makes a typo like leaving off the first letter.

Also I found that Root Terminal is now an option on the menu. Put it in System Tools with the regular Terminal.

My router for Lockwood is a Belkin Connect N150.
The modem-router that I have no access to is a Hawking HAR11.

1 Frequency:2.417 GHz (Channel 2)
3 Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
3 Frequency:2.422 GHz (Channel 3)
3 Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
4 Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

even if someone makes a typo like leaving off the first letter.
:mrgreen:
Put it in System Tools with the regular Terminal.
until you are really comfortable with the commands avoid it, you could kill your installation with a typo (see what I mean)

ok so it's highway to wifi around your place, we will take the one that nobody else is using (love giving other people some work to do)
Belkin Connect N150 wants and needs its own channel so set it to 4 (dig out the old manual or search for it on google)

wild guess open firefox and try 192.168.2.1 to get access to it (probably needs a user name and password)
White Phoenix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by White Phoenix »

Actually, I have it bookmarked on Opera. Well, I picked 3, but changed it to 4. I also changed from 1x1 802.11n to the mixed b g & n. That should make the 3DS happy at home. Don’t know why it has trouble elsewhere. . . unless they’re using the N mode.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

it has trouble elsewhere
expand a bit on what kind of trouble?

is your own setup now ok? (leave the 3DS for another topic)
White Phoenix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by White Phoenix »

Yes, everything with the router is good now. Thank you.

Return to “Networking”