Laptop recognizes WiFI but fails to connect

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PatH57

Re: Laptop recognizes WiFI but fails to connect

Post by PatH57 »

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5708 Aug 20 15:50 wireless-info.tar.gz
this is the file we need wireless-info.tar.gz
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

PatH57 wrote:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5708 Aug 20 15:50 wireless-info.tar.gz
this is the file we need wireless-info.tar.gz
Without the sudo on the wget command it should have been the same as any other file or it may have worked with && sudo chmod +x but you never know
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

still looking at why sudo does not work for some users (my guess is they are not in their home directory but how does this happen opening a standard terminal session? or they are logged as a non sudoer?)
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

frazier102: Infra, <MAC addr frazier102>, Freq 2437 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 79 WPA2
PhyphenT: Infra, <MAC addr PhyphenT>, Freq 2412 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 69 WPA2
ATT696: Infra, <MAC addr ATT696>, Freq 2462 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 64 WPA WPA2
2WIRE335: Infra, <MAC addr 2WIRE335>, Freq 2462 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 35 WPA WPA2
adegroot: Infra, <MAC addr adegroot>, Freq 2462 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 77 WPA WPA2
CHERISH-PC_Network: Infra, <MAC addr CHERISH-PC_Network>, Freq 2437 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 35 WPA2
Belkin.38EB: Infra, <MAC addr Belkin.38EB>, Freq 2412 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 32 WPA WPA2
2WIRE768: Infra, <MAC addr 2WIRE768>, Freq 2437 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 54 WPA WPA2
mobil: Infra, <MAC addr mobil>, Freq 2442 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 24 WEP
2WIRE016: Infra, <MAC addr 2WIRE016>, Freq 2457 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 29 WEP
WNT: Infra, <MAC addr WNT>, Freq 2412 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 92 WPA2
MONIEWIFI: Infra, <MAC addr MONIEWIFI>, Freq 2437 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 29 WPA2
Nicole Flynn's Guest Network: Infra, <MAC addr Nicole Flynn's Guest Network>, Freq 2412 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 27 WPA2
HP-Print-17-ENVY 5530 series: Infra, <MAC addr HP-Print-17-ENVY 5530 series>, Freq 2462 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 22
NETGEAR16: Infra, <MAC addr NETGEAR16>, Freq 2417 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 35 WPA2
JoyNet: Infra, <MAC addr JoyNet>, Freq 2462 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 19 WPA2
2WIRE920: Infra, <MAC addr 2WIRE920>, Freq 2457 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 34 WPA WPA2
ATT976: Infra, <MAC addr ATT976>, Freq 2437 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 25 WPA WPA2
rusk: Infra, <MAC addr rusk>, Freq 2437 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 20
OWNER-PC_Network:Infra, <MAC addr OWNER-PC_Network>, Freq 2412 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 37 WPA
witch one is yours? (as you are not connected I have to ask.)
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

PatH57 wrote:still looking at why sudo does not work for some users (my guess is they are not in their home directory but how does this happen opening a standard terminal session? or they are logged as a non sudoer?)
My username is a sudoer but if I use the sudo wget, the ls -l for wireless_script end up the same with root as user and group. It is easy to change with a sudo chown $USER:$USER wireless_script2 but I have never had an issue using any of the wireless_script without sudo before the command- just using

Code: Select all

wget -N -t 5 -T 10 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0h4ef93hjiz0dgy/wireless_script_mod && \chmod +x wireless_script_mod && \./wireless_script_mod
I get permission errors if I am not in my home folder running the command in terminal but that is expected and if a poster is not in home all it takes is cd ~
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

I get permission errors if I am not in my home folder running the command in terminal but that is expected and if a poster is not in home all it takes is cd
I know all of that ,my point is how come a user that obviously has no knowledge about terminal, end up in a folder other then his home? (in there he could easily make a mistake following a different advise given on this or another forum)
The way I did learn computing was to ask back each time someone sends me a command to execute and ask what it is doing but that's me and it worked for me the last 30 years.
in the last 3 days I had 4 OP with the same "problem" so I was just wondering how this could happen (off course I did try cd but 2 of them could still not write the output file)

On this particular case I noticed that more then 1 wifi card is present. One of witch is a WIMAX and will probably have to be blacklisted if not used for something else.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

The solution might be to instruct to open a new terminal window

I don't know if the Wimax will interfere but it hasn't on the Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250 [Kilmer Peak] (rev 57) that I am using now

Code: Select all

0: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
1: i2400m-usb:1-1.6:1.0: WiMAX
	Soft blocked: yes
	Hard blocked: no
Monolith

Post by Monolith »

Oh! Mine is "WNT"
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

and it is using channel1 (probably the default settings)
4 WLAPs on Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
1 WLAPs on Frequency:2.417 GHz (Channel 2)
6 WLAPs on Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
2 WLAPs on Frequency:2.442 GHz (Channel 7)
1 WLAPs on Frequency:2.457 GHz (Channel 10)
5 WLAPs on Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)

as 3 others so first thing change it to channel 3 as nobody else seems to use it.
Then we will see what happens.
Monolith

Post by Monolith »

How do I change it to channel 3? it doesnt have a switch that I can see on the case (unless it is inside the device?)
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

that is specific to your router.
you should be able to access the router interface, open firefox and type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar. Then off course you will have to enter a username and password if you want to do any changes (usually it's in your manual and should be default as you obviously never accessed it)
what's the brand and type of your router?
Monolith

Post by Monolith »

It 's a ubee DOCSIS 3.0 WLCM

I don't see a manual, just a disc. so may take me a while to figure out the username and PW
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

probably is this one
http://www.midcocomm.com/_files/files/U10C035.pdf

strange I don't see a wifi setting? do you have another box that does the wifi, check on the manufacturers page to find the one you have.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: Laptop recognizes WiFI but fails to connect

Post by JeremyB »

Monolith wrote:It 's a ubee DOCSIS 3.0 WLCM

I don't see a manual, just a disc. so may take me a while to figure out the username and PW
I found something, username is last 8 digits of the MAC address(may need caps lock) with password c0nf1gur3m3
Another post says username is last 6 of the MAC

http://www.dougpace.com/2011/05/10/ubee-ddw3611/
Monolith

Post by Monolith »

got logged in, changed the channel and now it works. thanks guys you all are amazing
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Monolith wrote:got logged in, changed the channel and now it works. thanks guys you all are amazing
Can you edit the topic to add {SOLVED} as it may help others searching for an answer
Monolith

Post by Monolith »

JeremyB wrote:
Monolith wrote:got logged in, changed the channel and now it works. thanks guys you all are amazing
Can you edit the topic to add {SOLVED} as it may help others searching for an answer

I can't, because it is happening again. -_-
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

run the script again and repost so we can see the changes and error logs.
Monolith

Post by Monolith »

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/8217001/

EDIT: if there are any other scripts I need to run, let me know

Return to “Networking”