WLAN not in list

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
free.dom

WLAN not in list

Post by free.dom »

Hey!

I am using Mint 14 XFCE at the moment and want to upgrade to version 17 XFCE, because of the ending support. Now I was creating a liveUSB of Qiana using LiLi (formerly known as LinuxLive) USB Creator to check if everything is working properly and afterwards installing the new version. Unfortunately my WLAN doesnt appear in the list, while tons of other WLANs do. I am using a Fritzbox 7312 and windows and Mint 14 are recognizing it. So I think it is an issue of Mint 17, which is neither recognizing it in live mode, nor in the installation menu. What can I do about it?

I am pleased for everyone trying to help! Thanks in advance for your efforts!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ofb

Re: WLAN not in list

Post by ofb »

Well, let's start with a couple of questions.

First, run 'nm-tool' in terminal, just to check if it's really not listed.

Second, is it possible that you have set your Fritzbox to not broadcast it's presence? It might show up in 14 and Windows because they have previously connected with it. If it is not broadcasting, then click the wifi icon on panel, and select "Connect To Hidden Wi-Fi Network".
Hendrick
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Hendrick »

free.dom wrote:Hey!

I am using Mint 14 XFCE at the moment and want to upgrade to version 17 XFCE, because of the ending support. Now I was creating a liveUSB of Qiana using LiLi (formerly known as LinuxLive) USB Creator to check if everything is working properly and afterwards installing the new version. Unfortunately my WLAN doesnt appear in the list, while tons of other WLANs do. I am using a Fritzbox 7312 and windows and Mint 14 are recognizing it. So I think it is an issue of Mint 17, which is neither recognizing it in live mode, nor in the installation menu. What can I do about it?

I am pleased for everyone trying to help! Thanks in advance for your efforts!

I have had the same problem when I started using channel 13 on my Fritzbox 7360. After changing to a lower channel, everything was fine again. It seems that Mint17 can not, or will not, use channel 13.
All in all, I'm not too crazy about the Linux support for WLAN. On all my (3) computers, Windows achieves a much higher WLAN speed than Mint17. This must have something to do with the Linux kernel.
Mint Xfce - Mint Cinnamon - Win11 Pro
ofb

Post by ofb »

Hendrick, check if your card does channel 13. Run this in terminal:
iwlist wlan0 channel

And actually, while you're at it run this. See if perhaps you're on a busy channel.
sudo iwlist wlan0 scan | grep Frequency | sort | uniq -c | sort -n
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Actually according to the Wikipedia article channels 12 and 13 are allowed in USA under low power condition, but many devices won't connect to these channels

try this first

Code: Select all

sudo iw reg set US
give it a minute or 2 then

Code: Select all

iwconfig
and then check again if you can see your router in the list.
free.dom

Post by free.dom »

First fo all thank you all for your quick replies so far!
I am going to try out some things right now.

First of all the settings in the Fritzbox seem right, BUT the channel was set to 13. So I changed it to channel 8 (which is fine for me, because since I last checked this is the best channel right now anyways) and it is appearing in the list now. My card definitely supports channel 13, because as I said in Windows and Mint 13 everything was running. Must be an issue with Mint 17! Strange..

Thanks for all of your efforts and answers! Thats what I really love about this community =)
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

the newer driver in Mint 17 are more respectful of the standards.
Also by default they might be set to region 00 (witch is more restrictive concerning emissions)

Return to “Networking”