wireless freezes [solved]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wilby
Level 1
Level 1

Re: wireless freezes

Post by wilby »

Thanks again, the model of mine is a huawei E589u-12.
Hardware version: CL1E589M22
Software version: 11.433.14.00.74
Would this be of any use to you? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2396752
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

it confirms what I used to do on older models and also gives me an idea.
connect it using usb and run

Code: Select all

iwconfig
wilby
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wilby »

wlan1 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:"Optus 4G WiFi E589 B646"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: 24:DB:AC:4C:B6:46
Bit Rate=65 Mb/s Tx-Power=14 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=69/70 Signal level=-41 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:67 Missed beacon:0

eth0 no wireless extensions.

lo no wireless extensions.
wilby
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wilby »

Ok I've now got wired access to my router.
Is that was meant to happen ?, if not the only other thing I did was reset the modem (I played with the settings and as you'd expect lost everything, and yes I solemnly promise not to do it again).
Edit:
A quick test
Wired connection. Works great no lockups or freezing.
Wireless connection. same as it was and once I start having trouble I cant seem to switch to wired.
I've put the 802.11 authentication: on WPA2-PSK, the Encryption mode on AES and the channel back to 3.
Do you want me to change anything else?
I noticed it has settings for 802.11 mode and is currently on 802.11b/g/n. The other options are 802.11b 802.11g 802.11b/g.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

wired meaning USB connection?
while on wired.

ifconfig

iwconfig

also check your internet speed (this also depends on how far you are from a broadband tower), JeremyB has an app on his phone to determine this but on your router you should be able to see how good the 3G or 4G connection is.
http://www.speedtest.net/
wilby
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wilby »

wired meaning USB connection?
Yep :mrgreen: .
In the nework applet I have wireless turned off and mobile broadband turned on.
willy@pooter ~ $ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr c8:60:00:06:62:af
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
RX packets:402 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:402 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:44920 (44.9 KB) TX bytes:44920 (44.9 KB)

ppp0 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
inet addr:122.110.228.193 P-t-P:10.64.64.64 Mask:255.255.255.255
UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:3538 errors:370 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2726 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
RX bytes:3482241 (3.4 MB) TX bytes:287628 (287.6 KB)

willy@pooter ~ $ iwconfig
wlan1 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=off
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off

ppp0 no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

lo no wireless extensions.

My speed through speedtest.net is around 0.50 Mbs download but thats not unusual for this time of the day. earlier I was getting 4-5 Mbs.
Thanks
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Yep :mrgreen:
smarty pants, fiddles around with the settings on his router and see there got the ppoe working :lol:
If only he could remember what he did. Joking :mrgreen:

anyway even at 4 or 5 Mbps you are way below the 54Mbps so disable N and also IPV6 (not used on your ppoe so shouldn't need it)

For the time being close this thread ,edit the subject of your first post and add [solved]

open another one with for example huawei E589u-12 access point wifi disconnect as subject.
in the post include a link to this one.
wilby
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wilby »

PatH57 wrote:
smarty pants, fiddles around with the settings on his router and see there got the ppoe working :lol:
If only he could remember what he did. Joking :mrgreen:
All I did was to go into my wireless settings and disables DHCP (couldn't find a IPV6 setting but seen DHCP mentioned in relation to it somewhere) and then I couldn't connect at all. So I connected it to the laptop hoping I could access the settings from there, which I couldn't. After a bit of a panic I found the reset button on the modem, pressed it with a pin. I could then see my modem , but had no idea what the password/wifi key was but found if I pressed a button on the modem that looked like a refresh symbol with wps next to it, it told me.
Then when I clicked on the network applet it had the mobile broadband option....
PatH57 wrote: anyway even at 4 or 5 Mbps you are way below the 54Mbps so disable N and also IPV6 (not used on your ppoe so shouldn't need it)

For the time being close this thread ,edit the subject of your first post and add [solved]

open another one with for example huawei E589u-12 access point wifi disconnect as subject.
in the post include a link to this one.
A couple of questions.
What details should I include in the new thread?
How do I disable N and IPV6?
There is a ignore for the IPV6 in the Mint network settings. So should I select this.
I don't have any idea what N is nor can I find it.
Should I re-enable the ucfw or is the one on my modem sufficient?
Australia is way behind with internet speed and Optus (who I'm with) is a fairly congested network at the best of times and in country areas, like where I am its even worse. 54Mbps is probably never going to be obtainable.
Thanks very much for all the time and effort you've put into this, I owe you a slab of beer for it. So, if you 're ever down under, look me up and I'll quench your thirst.
PatH57

Re: wireless freezes [solved]

Post by PatH57 »

What details should I include in the new thread?
just a link to this one. and the pastebin link
We will amend it as we go.

N and ipv6 should be disabled on the router (I'm sure you can find the settings 8) ) it probably looks like 802.11 a/b/g/N or speed 450 Mbps, but give me a day or 2 and I will try to get my hands on one or talk to someone who has one.
Should I re-enable the ucfw or is the one on my modem sufficient?
Never really cared on linux enabling a firewall outside the router, if I did I wouldn't stay with default settings anywya and would have to unlock some prts to get other stuff going.
Usually the router does a good job and prevents DOS attacks (as long as you stick with the official packages to install or update your Mint you are fine, they won't punch a hole in your network). It's not windows ,linux comes from enterprise environment and has always been more secure.
wilby
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wilby »

N and ipv6 should be disabled on the router (I'm sure you can find the settings 8) ) it probably looks like 802.11 a/b/g/N or speed 450 Mbps
Thanks.
Ok, found the N It was on 802.11 b/g/n so I've put it to 802.11 b/g. I've been through all the settings on the modem and googled but can't find any ipv6 settings on the modem.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

but can't find any ipv6 settings on the modem
chances are they don't use it then.

Return to “Networking”