Lenovo S12 - Broadcom BCM4313 problem - Mint 17

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
guythp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by guythp »

Sorry to hijack this post but I didn't want to start a new one of such a similar vein.

I went to install mint 17 mate on my lenovo S12 last night (to dual-boot it with win 7- I know, I know, but WINE doesn't yet run space giraffe and grid runner revolution yet!) and found that the live CD didn't show any wi-fi options (at all). I can connect to ethernet in order to install it, but before I do I'd just like to know that (as the linux mint home page says that the broadcomm wifi issue is now fixed) if I install mint whilst connected on ethernet and let it update, will it then work with wifi? - I downloaded and tried mint 17 today and the same issue was apparent.

Thanks in advance and apologies to OP if I raised your hopes of an answer to your problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

guythp wrote:Sorry to hijack this post but I didn't want to start a new one of such a similar vein.
No need to be sorry, because your crime has been undone by splitting your post off the hijacked thread. :lol:
Actually, I fail to see any clear piece of evidence that your problem is that Broadcom BCM4313 wifi does not work on Mint 17. :?
An

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
report would be helpful.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Lenovo S12 - Broadcom BCM4313 problem - Mint 17

Post by JeremyB »

I would try the guide on the Ubuntu forum when trying to use any Broadcom card, with Mint 17 use the instructions for Ubuntu 14.04

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2214110
guythp
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Lenovo S12 - Broadcom BCM4313 problem - Mint 17

Post by guythp »

Thank you both for your prompt responses! At present I do not have mint installed on my netbook; I just wanted to know if I were to install it and let it update if wifi would work, to save hours of copy and pasting possible solutions (I am, I'm afraid to admit, an uneducated and ignorant linux user).

Return to “Networking”