Can someone recommend a network manager that works??

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fonestar

Can someone recommend a network manager that works??

Post by fonestar »

Can someone recommend a network manager that actually works??

I fought with wicd-client over a week just to be able to press "OK" and "Cancel". It worked and now it disconnects 15 seconds after connecting (wired and wireless networks).

So I uninstalled it, tried installing gnome "network-manager" instead and it's junk too. It just tells me I do not have sufficient privilleges to do anything (even though I am part of netdev group).

Are there any network managers that actually work properly? No editing, no nano, no vim, no searching forums, no cryptic errors. Just works?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Can someone recommend a network manager that works??

Post by Neil Edmond »

I only have experience with Ceni, Wicd, network-manager and the KDE network manager. All have "just worked", but the KDE manager took a little getting used to since it was quite different from the others I have used. Ceni is a CLI network manager, which I like because once set up (often automatically) you can use the wifi connection from the command line, without the graphic environment. Pretty useful for updates and stuff.
fonestar

Post by fonestar »

How do I get ceni?
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Ummmm what exactly is wrong with the one installed by default? What are you running, LM 17? Mate, Cinnamon, Xfce? And what are you trying to do and what doesn't "work" specifically?

What groups are you in exactly? Can you...

Code: Select all

sudo groups YOURID
fonestar

Post by fonestar »

I don't remember what the original issue was with the default client but it had problems too. That's why I originally installed wicd-client. I am running KDE on LM16.

Both wicd and network-manager have given me severe amounts of grief over permissions, disconnects, etc, etc, etc. I do not update things now EVER because I know something else will break if I do.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

And your NIC hardware is what ??

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkManager
--if it is not a specific and known problem deviuce, for example broadcom or Atheros (perhaps some others), then the default Network Manager should just work
--at least as well as any other network manager which uses a well supported device under Linux,
fonestar

Post by fonestar »

rtl8192ce
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

fonestar wrote:Both wicd and network-manager have given me severe amounts of grief over permissions, disconnects, etc, etc, etc. I do not update things now EVER because I know something else will break if I do.
That might be difficult anyway since LM 16 is no longer supported. The repositories are probably already being shut down since it went EOL some time ago. So yes, updating with even some of those off line will "break" your system more or less.

EDIT. Is it the exact card noted in this thread because there's a "fix" for that driver. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=163512
Last edited by gtsfer on Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fonestar

Post by fonestar »

aye yai yai.... trying upgrade to LM17 now. Hopefully that will fix it.
fonestar

Post by fonestar »

Upgraded to LM17 but wicd-client still does not connect. Can someone tell me how to totally remove all traces of wicd, wicd-client, network-manager and go back to the LM default?

Thanks..
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

I think your connection problem may be driver related. See that link I posted above for how to fix it. Network-manager is an LM default installed package. If you mean network-manager-gnome, that's different. To completely remove a package and the config files, plus dependencies too use the Terminal..

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge wicd*
sudo apt-get autoremove
Sounds like you reinstalled with LM 17 and keeping your /home partition intact, right? So those old config files are still there in your home directory. (they're hidden files or folders like .wicd, etc)
fonestar

Post by fonestar »

Okay thanks, I got rid of wicd* but I cannot find network manager anywhere on the system? When I try to apt-get install it, it tells me that it's already the latest version but isn't displayed in the system tray?
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

fonestar wrote:it tells me that it's already the latest version but isn't displayed in the system tray?
Add the network applet to the panel.
fonestar

Post by fonestar »

So is it a "widget" or another panel? Why doesn't "network" just show up when I type network? This really isn't very intuitive....
indygreg71

Post by indygreg71 »

I am not sure if I am seeing the same thing, so I am posting in this thread.
I am running Mint 17
Lenovo x1 carbon

here are the network issues I regularly fight and am becoming very frustrated in:
I will connect to a wifi network without much issue. I will say without much as it is normal for this to happen - I log into network and get pop up that I am connected, then a pop up saying I am disconnected from that same network, then a pop up saying I am connected.

The issue really sets in when I come out of standby or hibernation. Wifi is so hit and miss. I often have to reboot to connect to a network I was just on 10 minutes before (I shut my laptop lid to walk to a meeting, etc). Turning off wifi with hardware switch or software switch does not do it. A reboot does. I run the Cisco wireless network here at work and I can see the logs on the wifi side and no errors are showing. Also, this happens at a variety of wifi networks, not just mine.

Second issue is that network manager locks up a lot (not responding) when I try to edit a connection. This is maddening as it wastes so much time when I am trying to get something done. Again a reboot often is needed.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?
glenb77

Post by glenb77 »

I have similar problems with 17 on two different laptops one with broadocm 4321 and other with atheros. i have found pretty much it is all related to wpa_supplicant. after a while or right after a resume from suspend, nothing will connect or will connect for a few seconds and keep retrying.. one machine i just connect manually no network manager at all.

but basically, rmmod the driver, then stop network manager service (if i am using it), then use killall wpa_supplicant, then modprobe the driver, and restart network manager (if i use it), or restart wpa_supplicant, and dhclient and i get instant connection

i read in ubuntu forums somewhere that there is ppa recommended to 'downgrade' the wpa_supplicant in 14.04 to the
one used in 13.10 which solves the issue. i may try that but with the litte script everything reconnects quick and stays good for an acceptable amount of time

Return to “Networking”