"Networking disabled" on return from hibernate?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

"Networking disabled" on return from hibernate?

Post by darkstrike »

Hey all,

I've noticed that I put my netbook running Mint 17 into Hibernate and bring it back out, WiFi won't reconnect as the icon by the clock claims that networking is disabled. A restart fixes it, but right-clicking on said icon and selecting "Enable Networking" doesn't bring it back - I HAVE to restart.

Is there any way to get networking back to rights when returning from hibernate?

Cheers and thanks for any help! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PatH57

Re: "Networking disabled" on return from hibernate?

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

let's check what netwrok card is used.

Code: Select all

iwconfig

lspci

lsusb
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

Hi Pat, returns for iwconfig - I have restarted the machine since to get my WiFi back, so there is currently a connection:

wlan0     802.11b/g  link  ESSID:"The_Watchtower"  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.462 GHz  Access Point: 00:13:10:E9:8F:D4   
          Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   
          Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=84/100  Signal level=-37 dBm  Noise level=-111 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.
Returns for lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GSE Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) SATA Controller [IDE mode] (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8187SE Wireless LAN Controller (rev 22)
Returns for lsusb (this is an internal Mini PCI-Express WiFI card btw):

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:0158 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. USB 2.0 multicard reader
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
It's the same Realtek RTL8187SE WiFi card you were helping me with in my Bluetooth thread ( http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&start=20 ) - I've reverted back to the 3.13.0 kernel that was originally on this install rather than the 3.14.5 kernel where my WiFi wasn't working AT ALL.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

problem is the realtek RTL8187SE card and the driver.
There won't be anymore propriatary drivers (last one was end of 2008) for it so your best try is a kernel update as it comes a long with opensource drivers.

Update manager,view kernels.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

What I don't understand is why this doesn't work now. Sure, the last driver update was awhile ago, but I was running Mint 14 before this and this particular card worked flawlessly. What has changed in Mint 17 that makes this card no longer work where it worked fine before?

As mentioned in my other thread, I updated to the latest kernel as of last week that I could find, 3.14.5 and there didn't even seem to be drivers for this card in that kernel as the card didn't work at all? Does this mean I am stuck...?

I would change the card to another card, but this particular netbook is a P.I.T.A. to do hardware modifications to, it requires removing the entire bottom portion of the netbook with EXTREMELY fragile non-replaceable clips along the edge of the entire lower panel....if they break, you have to buy a whole new lower panel...I put another 1gb of RAM into it awhile back and had to order a whole new lower piece because so many of the clips broke....I really don't want to have to try changing the WiFi card *sigh*

I know that on my older Mint 14 install, I DID have a similar issue to this one when I first installed Mint 14 - I had to add a command somewhere to basically 'reset' the WiFi service or some such every time the machine came out of Hibernate, and that worked perfectly. Would something similar work here? I don't know what the command was though :(

EDIT - Found a similar situation on the forums - this command looks familiar:

sudo service network-manager restart
I THINK this might've been the one I used to restart the server every time the machine returned from sleep or hibernate...but I can't remember what file to add it to?[/color]
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

sudo service network-manager restart
it should work as it restart the network manager and quicks the card out of sleep. not elegant but....
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

Doesn't really matter to me if it is elegant or not, as long as it works...what file would I have to append this command to to automatically have this happen whenever I bring the computer out of hibernate or sleep?

Also - new, different symptom. I've also noticed that whe I bring this machine out of hibernate, sometimes (not always) Numlock starts randomly switching on and off with my user session so I can't even type my password in to log back in....the only way to solve it is to click "switch user" go back to the login screen where the the 'Numlock flickering' stops, then restart the machine from there....
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

not sure you can do a scrypt that runs when coming out of hibernation....
you can just copy paste the command in terminal and run it?
the other problem is also a symptom of hibernation not seeing your PC correctly.
A kernel update may actually fix all of your problems and you can always boot back to the old one.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

A kernel update doesn't solve my WiFi issue because, as you know from when I tried in my other Bluetooth thread, the latest 3.14.5 kernel doesn't even seem to have my WiFi card drivers in it, leaving me with no WiFi at all...unless I were to try and update to only one or two kernel versions ahead - I have reverted it to 3.13.0-24 atm, but I could update just a little to 3.13.0-32, I guess, and see if that makes a difference...
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

ok,

let's rephrase going from 3.13.xx to 3.13.yy will improve, trying a 3.14.xx may break as it is a new kernel and not an updated kernel (or maintained or whatever we might call it) In a "new" kernel things have also been removed if nobody any longer works on supporting it else your kernel would be 8GB big to have every existing piece of computer hardware in it.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

Well, updated to Kernel 3.13.0-32 - SEEMS to have fixed the hibernate / WiFi issue, however, my Bluetooth still doesn't work as in my previous thread :(

It's a start at least, I guess! :)

EDIT - Kernel 3.13.0-32 didn't really fix the issue, sadly...
Last edited by darkstrike on Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

Sorry for the double-post, but...

Just to keep this thread up to date in case anybody else is having this issue - Just tried updating to Kernel 3.13.0-36 from 3.13.0-32 and I still get the "Network Disabled" issue on return from Hibernate, although it does seem to happen less often....so, if anybody else is having this same problem, try updating and it looks like it at least might help a little bit! :)
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

let's have another look.
could you post

sudo gedit /etc/pm/config.d/config
if it's empty that's fine
also after hibernate when it does not work

nmcli nm
petergee

Post by petergee »

This worked for me:

sudo nmcli nm sleep false
I realise it has to be done whenever the system comes out of hibernation, but at least it re-enables the network
FYI I'm using
3.13.0-24-generic
Gorky

Post by Gorky »

I'm having this issue as well on Linux Mint 17.1.
Any news if anyone is going to take a look at it?

Regards.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

I'm hoping somebody looks at it as well...I am still having the same issue, although the command Peter listed above works to fix it without a restart each time, but it's a bit irritating...

Return to “Networking”