Resolving Host Issue

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dave Box

Re: Resolving Host Issue

Post by Dave Box »

Thank you Pat, I have done as you recommend. I will use the internet for a few days and report back.

Dave
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I wonder what this screen shows
http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y45 ... a8b08c.png

I either don't have it in cinnamon or I can't find it but it exists in Mate
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

must be the same but you have to click on the bottom lock icon to be able to edit the settings (I remember seeing it 3 or 4 month ago but I changed so much stuff in between...) remember now it's when you use netwrok settings from control panel. I use the nm-applet
Dave Box

Post by Dave Box »

For what it's worth that was the screen that I was using to add my ISP provided numbers and also the search engine numbers for Google. That made everything work fine until you reboot when despite the padlock being closed the my ISP numbers were wiped out and only 127.0.1.1 remained.

Still this morning I am running and have no resolving host issues. I will monitor this for a few more days.

Dave
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Dave,

glad it is working, take a rest this is only a workaround to make the permanent change we will have to do it on your router (then you can move back all your units to default.)
In most networks the router is the DNS server and units only have to query it (it also acts as a security gateway so you don't have to worry about external attacks too much)
http://royal.pingdom.com/2009/06/08/a-v ... kups-work/
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

You can set preferred DNS hosts in your router's configuration page.

Return to “Networking”