SOLVED - Broadcom BCM43227 RANDOMLY LOOSE CONNECTIVITY

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
acw89

Re: Broadcom BCM43227 RANDOMLY LOOSE CONNECTIVITY

Post by acw89 »

So I should look for the DEB files for the kernel 3.2.61 and just "jump" to that generic?

If there is a better way ... let me know .. I do want to do this correctly

Thanks for your help Pat :D

>^..^<
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

acw89 wrote:So I should look for the DEB files for the kernel 3.2.61 and just "jump" to that generic?

If there is a better way ... let me know .. I do want to do this correctly

Thanks for your help Pat :D

>^..^<
Have you tried LM17? or is that not an option for other reasons as a 2 year old PC should be able to run 17
acw89

Post by acw89 »

Thanks Jeremy ...

Actually I just checked and now see that Mint 17 is the next LTS since 13 and I am considering doing just that. It's a major upgrade and I am actually downloading the ISO right this minute.

I will have to do my homework and write some scripts to save all my stuff as its a lot of work, but yes .. that is what I am intending to do.

I have an Acer Aspire 64 bit and am quite sure it should be able to run the new Mint. :D

Do you know of any utilities out there to help in cutovers like this or is it just best to record all your settings and write one's own scripts?

Thanks again .. this is by far the BEST forum for Linux Mint help. :mrgreen:

>^..^<
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

you may have wifi problems with 17 also, just upgrade the kernel and you should be sorted.
Broadcom is not my favorite wifi card :lol:
acw89

Post by acw89 »

Thanks for the heads up Pat :D

What IS your favorite card? Do you know a brand that behaves nicer with Mint.

They are not expensive and I have changed out all kinds of hardware on my lappy before... :D

Thanks
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

well if you are into "deep" networking learning check
http://www.kali.com
they really put wifi to the extreme and if it works in there it is a good card, just need to find the right driver or kernel for your OS.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

acw89 wrote:Thanks for the heads up Pat :D

What IS your favorite card? Do you know a brand that behaves nicer with Mint.

They are not expensive and I have changed out all kinds of hardware on my lappy before... :D

Thanks
I don't know about PatH but I like Intel cards, 5 of the 6 laptops I have installed Ubuntu 14.04 or LM 17 on has an intel wifi card and I have had no issues with wifi but I do see people that do have problems with the same cards I have
acw89

Post by acw89 »

Thank you Jerremy and Path for your info.

I will make this Solved and start checking out threads on MINT 17

I think I have had less problems in the past with Intel Wireless myself .. on Mint and Miserable Windows... :mrgreen:

They are cheap enough .. will get myself one that works with my laptop and go from there.

Thanks again for your tips and insight.

>^..^<
acw89

Re: SOLVED - Broadcom BCM43227 RANDOMLY LOOSE CONNECTIVITY

Post by acw89 »

Just as a closing note.

I replaced the flaky Broadcom wifi card with a Intel Wireless 7260 and have had NO issues since then.
Even after I upgraded to Mint17 from Mint13, I still experienced times when the wifi card seem to 'go to sleep' and the only way to wake it up was a reboot.

Replacing the card solved it.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “Networking”