Wifi Issues a dual boot setup with windows [Solved]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PatH57

Re: Wifi Issues a dual boot setup with windows

Post by PatH57 »

rename the 1000-3.ucode to 1000-5.ucode

then reboot and then run

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe -rv iwlwifi

sudo modprobe iwlwifi
scabby_al
Level 1
Level 1

Post by scabby_al »

Hello Everyone,

I'm a long time Linux user new to the Mint community. I'm having the exact same issue with a Lenovo SL510 with a Centrino 1000 card. I performed all recommendations in this thread including using new drivers directly from Intel's site with no luck. This aging laptop runs much better with Mint installed and would like to ditch Windows as soon as I get over this hurdle.

tl;dr
bump

Thanks!
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

please post your

inxi -v7
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

scabby_al wrote:Hello Everyone,

I'm a long time Linux user new to the Mint community. I'm having the exact same issue with a Lenovo SL510 with a Centrino 1000 card. I performed all recommendations in this thread including using new drivers directly from Intel's site with no luck. This aging laptop runs much better with Mint installed and would like to ditch Windows as soon as I get over this hurdle.

tl;dr
bump

Thanks!
How old is the wireless router you are trying to connect to? This might be a sign it is time to upgrade. Then again it might just take a kernel update through the mintupdate program, click on view/kernel updates and select the newest on which should be 3.13.0-32 to install and see how that works

I have installed Ubuntu/Linux Mint on 6 laptops in a couple months and have had no issues with intel wireless cards other than bluetooth not being detected on a dual band AC 7260 but I am connecting to a cellular wireless hotspot that has only been on the market for less than a year
scabby_al
Level 1
Level 1

Post by scabby_al »

PatH57 wrote:please post your

inxi -v7
System: Host: chaz-thinkpad Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2)
Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine: System: LENOVO product: 2847CZU version: ThinkPad SL510 Chassis: type: 10
Mobo: LENOVO model: 2847CZU Bios: LENOVO version: 6JET94WW (1.52 ) date: 06/19/2012
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU T6670 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8777.86
Clock Speeds: 1: 1200.00 MHz 2: 1200.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@59.6hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 3000 bus-ID: 08:00.0
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 60:eb:69:4e:24:8d
Card-2: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 [Condor Peak] driver: iwlwifi ver: in-tree: bus-ID: 05:00.0
IF: wlan0 state: down mac: 00:26:c7:73:a9:0c
WAN IP: 24.115.147.129 IF: eth0 ip: 192.168.1.143 ip-v6: fe80::62eb:69ff:fe4e:248d
IF: wlan0 ip: N/A ip-v6: N/A
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (28.9% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST9500423AS size: 500.1GB serial: 6WR02HSA
Optical: /dev/sr0 model: N/A rev: N/A dev-links: cdrom
Features: speed: 24x multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: N/A
Partition: ID: / size: 56G used: 4.5G (9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda4
label: N/A uuid: e679ae05-ecc4-4104-8921-614d44ac98c8
ID: /media/windows size: 406G used: 131G (33%) fs: fuseblk dev: /dev/sda2
label: N/A uuid: 94D0CAC2D0CAAA36
ID: swap-1 size: 4.09GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
label: N/A uuid: 0ac5f97c-f903-402e-8a6e-924098795c6e
RAID: System: supported: N/A
No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Unused Devices: none
Unmounted: ID: /dev/sda1 size: 0.37G label: System Reserved uuid: D844C67844C65940
ID: /dev/sr0 size: 1.07G label: N/A uuid: N/A
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 38.0C mobo: 0.0C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A fan-1: 0
Info: Processes: 157 Uptime: 3 min Memory: 529.8/3792.7MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4

As for my router, its only 2 years old (r s) and works when booted with Windows. I also have the same problem when connecting to a Fortigate 60C firewall with a built-in wireless access point at work. I have no issues with other hardware running various flavors of Linux at both locations.
scabby_al
Level 1
Level 1

Post by scabby_al »

Alright, eating my own words here but after seeing the note about the router, I updated my Linksys E2500 Router from V1 of the firmware to 2.0. I also changed my wireless network settings for channel width from 20 MHz only to Auto (20 or 40MHz) and disabled IPv6 settings on said router.

None of this really explains why I'm now able to connect and use my wireless network at home unless this plays into some issue with the Linux Centrino 1000 drivers. I'm stumped as to why this worked.
Loztsoul

Post by Loztsoul »

@scabby_al I have the same router, the dual band e2500 Linksys. I can connect when booted in Windows 7, but not Linux mint, when I get home from work I'll update the firmware, make sure my channel is set to auto, and disable IPV6, if it is on.

@PatH57, :D I'll run those commands after I get home and update the firmware and check the settings in my router.

By the way, thank you all for your help!! Like @scabby_al I am trying to get away from windows and this is the only thing holding me up. It is nice than Nvidia drivers now work as well
scabby_al
Level 1
Level 1

Post by scabby_al »

Loztsoul wrote:@scabby_al I have the same router, the dual band e2500 Linksys. I can connect when booted in Windows 7, but not Linux mint, when I get home from work I'll update the firmware, make sure my channel is set to auto, and disable IPV6, if it is on.

@PatH57, :D I'll run those commands after I get home and update the firmware and check the settings in my router.

By the way, thank you all for your help!! Like @scabby_al I am trying to get away from windows and this is the only thing holding me up. It is nice than Nvidia drivers now work as well

Good luck and let us know how you make out
Loztsoul

Post by Loztsoul »

Updated my router firmware to V2, checked the channel setting and IPV6, still the same, then I renamed 1000-3.ucode to the 1000-5-ucode, rebooted and ran the commands. It still will not connect. The only difference now is my WIFI indicator on my laptop is not flashing when I try to connect and it now stays steady. I think we are getting close though :)
scabby_al
Level 1
Level 1

Post by scabby_al »

Loztsoul wrote:Updated my router firmware to V2, checked the channel setting and IPV6, still the same, then I renamed 1000-3.ucode to the 1000-5-ucode, rebooted and ran the commands. It still will not connect. The only difference now is my WIFI indicator on my laptop is not flashing when I try to connect and it now stays steady. I think we are getting close though :)

The only difference with my configuration is that I'm using version 5 of the driver from Intel's website. My Mint 17 system didn't have version 3 of the driver at all.

Everything ran fine for the rest of the night last night though access to the wireless network was dead slow at times but I haven't dug deeper to see if that's related.
Loztsoul

Post by Loztsoul »

Is there a command or series of commands I can run in terminal to force the OS to use a particular firmware file in the lib/firmware folder?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: Wifi Issues a dual boot setup with windows

Post by JeremyB »

Loztsoul wrote:Is there a command or series of commands I can run in terminal to force the OS to use a particular firmware file in the lib/firmware folder?
The firmware version loaded depends on the kernel version and every kernel since 3.2 will use the 5 version if it is found in /lib/firmware
Loztsoul

Post by Loztsoul »

I was finally able to get my wifi working. The issue was indeed, my router. I turned on IPV6 in the OS and in the router and enabled WMM support and was finally able to connect. Thanks for all your help.
PatH57

Re: Wifi Issues a dual boot setup with windows [Solved]

Post by PatH57 »

what you did is to force both "things" to talk to each other, my english is not yours and still we have to communicate, IP V6 is the way forward, you will have at some point a firmare update to correct this behaviour (mint is fine my guess your router)
Loztsoul

Re: Wifi Issues a dual boot setup with windows [Solved]

Post by Loztsoul »

After further review, IPV6 and WMM had nothing to do with the the wifi connectivity issue. I had DHCP lease reservations set up in the router for my various devices, (included this laptop). Turns out, because of the lease reservation, when I boot into windows it shows my pc name with the MAC ID. When I boot into Linux Mint, it shows the pc name linux-boot for the MAC ID. Because the lease reservation was for the windows machine and name, the router always refused the connection when I would boot into Linux Mint. Once I deleted the lease reservation for my laptop, wifi works perfectly.

Return to “Networking”