network off and on [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tbrownarcher2

network off and on [SOLVED]

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

using the lenovo computer

My network is turning off and on at a rate of about 1 min on and off or less

I'm using or i thought i was using WICD as a network manager but that icon is gone. No WICD icon in the notification panel
and so maybe it's using the network manager 'network manager' that comes with mint 17.

I'm using 2 adapters a linksys usb WUSB54GC, and and internal card WMP54G. The adapter on the mother board has been or I think it has been broken for a looooooooooong time. Not sure what it is as far as it's numbers.
the adapters both work on other machines .
So what can anyone come up with

ON FURTHER WORKING ON THE PROBLEM

I found that i was right about Network-Manager running at the same time . I also find that WICD is not picking up any networks including mine so even if it's working it's not working for some reason. If i stop it then Network-Manager is picking up netowrks and actually connects me to the internet. I'm not sure at all if Network-Manager is going to let me on line consistantly .... i don't think so and really I want to use WICD. I have always had success with WICD. This is the first time i have had an issue with WICD.

Help?????????????? Anyone ?

(NEW POST)

continuing saga i am becoming embarrassed sort of .

as i said i was running both network managers at the same time . I now have deleted WICD . I'm at least on line. not sure yet how consistantly .... it seems ok but I still want to use WiCD . when i was using it before everything seemed so smooth and even faster. but now it won't find my network or any of the networks around me. I don't get it but now I'm sure it's not hardware.

Thanks,
Nate
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrBob22
Level 3
Level 3

Re: network off and on

Post by MrBob22 »

Nate:

Sounds like there was interference between Network Manager and WICD. I read elsewhere on the net that for Wicd to work properly, Network Manager has to be removed entirely (which may be a difficult task manually) so if you really want WICD you might try to install WICD using Package Manager, which should take care of removal of Network Manager. I have found that getting all the settings correct for wireless is a bit tricky, so list your settings and save the data in case you have problems with Wicd again and you can go back to Network Manager and not be stuck figuring it all out again. BUT if Network Manager is working ok, why bother with setting up wicd to accomplish the exact same task? MrBob22
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

Mrbob:
I don't like network manager because in the past with past distros of mine it would not work right and getting wice was the only way i could get the network to work .

The only way I acquire/download WICD is with Software manager or synaptic.

I have trouble with synaptic mostly because I don't understand it.

thanks,
Nate
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

Nate

I don't use wireless on this box, but, remembered seeing this topic and it looks relevant.. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=170815
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

just use one or the other avoid having both present ,they could interfere with each other.
That said it is only a wrap around that allows you to send commands to the wifi driver. none of them will improve or decrease your connection, the driver and the card are the important thing.
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

Wintertroubles:
I actually mentioned this on that topic. When you remove network-manager with synaptic there is a message with some of the dependencies that essentially your removing the cinnamon desktop. That would be why the black screen which I experienced also. I did not try to remove NM while using Mate so i don't know but i would expect the same ?

I don't use wireless on this box, but, remembered seeing this topic and it looks relevant.. viewtopic.php?f=47&t=170815
Thanks,
Nate
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

Nate..

Personally, yes, I would expect the same.. but I base that on a guess. The reason I posted the link is that it had instructions for disabling the network-manager instead of removing it. But, with no experience of wireless on my mint box I'm unable to offer any direct advice, sorry.

WT

Return to “Networking”