missed wireless setup on install

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ricktigor

missed wireless setup on install

Post by Ricktigor »

i"m a newbie to linux and I need help I installed mint 17 cinnamon while I was installing it late at night I pass on the wireless card set up. now it shows no wireless network card. will someone tell me how to set it up or point me to a post that describes how you would getting mint 17 to install the card and drivers now.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: missed wireless setup on install

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Ricktoger.

As a rule Linux Mint should detect your hardware out of the box. This includes your wifi adapter. So far for the theory.
Please, open a terminal window. Execute this commandline

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
and post the complete screen output here for inspection. This will give us a concise overview of your hard- and software configuration. It should also reveal which network adapters Linux Mint detects and which drivers it loads for them.
In case your computer has got a hardware switch or a keyboard shortcut like <Fn><F2> or <Fn><F3> to switch the wifi adapter on/off, make sure you have switched on your wifi adapter before executing

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Do you have a broadcom wireless chipset?
I would look in Mintdrivers. It can probably detect your chipset and help you to install the drivers.
It's now much easier for instance to install Linux Mint on laptops equipped with Broadcom wireless chipsets, and you no longer need an an ethernet cable.
http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_qiana_cinn ... intdrivers

Second thing: please post in the right section. LMDE and Linux Mint 17 are two different things :wink:
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Good you realized the error, killer de bug, moved the thread from "Debian Edition" to "Main Edition" (Ubuntu based)
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Networking”