Please help me create a wlan network

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BlackFi.sh

Please help me create a wlan network

Post by BlackFi.sh »

Hey,

I have a Broadcom BCM43142 (802.11b/g/n) Wireless LAN card. I want to create WLAN hosted network and thereby share my wired internet connection with my mobile. I followed this tutorial:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/180733/h ... point-mode

But my driver doesn't list AP when I perform

Code: Select all

iw list
. The author mentions that this doesn't mean I can't create what I want. Can you help me achieve this?

Please don't tell me that I can't do it with my current card because I could do it fine in windows.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PatH57

Re: Please help me create a wlan network

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

first I would try to see if your card works as normal wifi meaning can it connect to an AP?
Broadcom and linux can be ricky if he correct driver is not the correct one.
Also what Mint are you using?

See ya
Patrick
BlackFi.sh

Post by BlackFi.sh »

PatH57 wrote:Hi,

first I would try to see if your card works as normal wifi meaning can it connect to an AP?
Broadcom and linux can be ricky if he correct driver is not the correct one.
Also what Mint are you using?

See ya
Patrick
I enable hotspot on my android and it works. So I guess it will connect fine to a normal AP as well.
I have linux mint cinnamon installed
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Ok,

but as I said linux drivers and broadcom (the linux support is poor) are not best friends so setting up a hotspot will be complicated at best if you are not used to it.
You can try the broadcom propriatary drivers and see if they support the AP mode...
You followed a guide but did you try the "If your driver doesn't shows this AP, It doesn't mean it can't create wireless hotspot. But those cards aren't in scope of this tutorial. For more tests follow ubuntu documentation on master mode." link?
If the card does not support the AP mode under Linux, well nothing can be done, it's not the card it's the drivers.
Idea: I never tried this with ndiswrapper (using the windows drivers in linux) could work...but then again it adds a level of complication.

Maybe some other members have been succesfull but a cheap AP is about €15 here so don't see the point of using a laptop do something as simple a cheap AP does better...

Patrick

Return to “Networking”