R51 Lenovo initially had Wifi on install but doesnt now

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cheryl_badger76

R51 Lenovo initially had Wifi on install but doesnt now

Post by cheryl_badger76 »

We installed Linux Mint and the wifi was working pefectly. When I arrived home and attempted to connect, the R51 wifi light is not on. Linux is recogtnizing the wireless network. '

I ran the sudo code and the response was connction timed out; no servers could be reached. I am not able to post the entire message as i am not able to connect that laptop to the internet.
Thanks...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: R51 Lenovo initially had Wifi on install but doesnt now

Post by JeremyB »

Open a terminal window and enter

Code: Select all

rfkill list
Does anything say yes?
ktheking

Post by ktheking »

The guy in this thread might have struck gold : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=171718

My theory is the following :

With the latest release (maybe the earlier ones too) ,have the opensource wifi drivers gained the upperhand when assigned to hardware. The drivers from the vendors don't play along anymore.

So you could use the technique described in this thread to blacklist the opensource driver,and next to it install your own driver that is better made for it,and force the system to use that driver.
cheryl_badger76

JeremyB wrote:Open a terminal window and enter

rfkill list
Does anything say yes?
both have NO
cheryl_badger76

ktheking wrote:The guy in this thread might have struck gold : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=171718

My theory is the following :

With the latest release (maybe the earlier ones too) ,have the opensource wifi drivers gained the upperhand when assigned to hardware. The drivers from the vendors don't play along anymore.

So you could use the technique described in this thread to blacklist the opensource driver,and next to it install your own driver that is better made for it,and force the system to use that driver.
Can you explain this in simpler terms?
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

let's first find out what the wifi card is:

inxi -n
and please post the result here (I've worked a couple of hours on the other solution and it is only for broadcom b43 chip)

Patrick
cheryl_badger76

PatH57 wrote:Hi,

let's first find out what the wifi card is:

inxi -n
and please post the result here (I've worked a couple of hours on the other solution and it is only for broadcom b43 chip)

Patrick
I couldnt copy paste, since my problem laptop isnt wired..Here is what it said:

Network: Card -1 Intel 82801DB PRO/100 VE (MOB) Ethernet Controller driver: e100
IFL eth0 state: down mac: 00:11:25:d4:0e:93
Card-2: Atheros AR5212 802.11abg NIC driver: ath5k
IF: wlan0 state: down mac: 00:14:a4:25:75:7a
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

ok so don't go to the other post it's only for b43 chip
Yours is an Atheros AR5212

1) you say the card was working after the installation of Mint 16?
2) in witch state was the machine when you came back? Suspended?
3) Did you shut down and then restart? (not just reboot)
4) Did you make all the updates after the installation finished and the machine rebooted?

add any additional things you may feel relevant, it might be a power management issue, If the card worked once, the drivers should be ok. If it only worked during the live session (meaning after the boot from the installation media usb or dvd) it's a different probleme to analyse.

The fact that you can't connect to a network makes it difficult, you seem to have wifi access and it is a laptop? can't you just go over to the router and plug a network cable into it?

Return to “Networking”