Wifi cuts out when laptop isn't charging

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
inate71

Wifi cuts out when laptop isn't charging

Post by inate71 »

I'm on Linux Mint 14, kernel version 3.5.0-170-generic(x86_64).

As of recently, I've noticed that unless my laptop is plugged into the charger, I can't use Wifi. I'll have a connection, and when I unplug my power cable, I'll maintain a connection for a few minutes, then I lose all access to my network; I can regain a temporary connection if I toggle wifi--but it will eventually cut out again.

I know for a fact that this was not happening (at least) June 1st-June 6th (or anytime before that). Not sure what could be causing it.

My laptop is an HP Spectre 14.

I appreciate any and all help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Wifi cuts out when laptop isn't charging

Post by JeremyB »

I would be looking at power management settings
inate71

Post by inate71 »

JeremyB wrote:I would be looking at power management settings
As far as I know, Linux Mint 14 doesn't have something like this. I haven't changed any settings regarding power consumption at all ever. Besides, it's not turning off the wifi--I just lose network access. I can still see the wifi networks and connect to them, can't access the internet.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: Wifi cuts out when laptop isn't charging

Post by JeremyB »

inate71 wrote:
As far as I know, Linux Mint 14 doesn't have something like this. I haven't changed any settings regarding power consumption at all ever. Besides, it's not turning off the wifi--I just lose network access. I can still see the wifi networks and connect to them, can't access the internet.
Run this script, it might give us a clue where to begin

Code: Select all

wget -N -t 5 -T 10 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script && chmod +x wireless_script && ./wireless_script
inate71

Re: Re: Wifi cuts out when laptop isn't charging

Post by inate71 »

JeremyB wrote:
inate71 wrote:
Run this script, it might give us a clue where to begin

wget -N -t 5 -T 10 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script && chmod +x wireless_script && ./wireless_script

http://pastebin.com/66LQmVq7

Here you go. I was plugged in when this happened.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Can you get me another from after unplugging charger and losing wireless?

Another important question, why are you not using LM13 Maya or LM17 Qiana instead as these are the only LM versions with current support and updates
inate71

Post by inate71 »

JeremyB wrote:Can you get me another from after unplugging charger and losing wireless?

Another important question, why are you not using LM13 Maya or LM17 Qiana instead as these are the only LM versions with current support and updates

I have Mint 14 set up just how I want it. I'm afraid to update, to be honest. I need everything working and I don't even have a reliable way of making backups; it's not a good reason, but it's why.

Sure, here you go:
http://pastebin.com/7VWmPGeS
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I couldn't find much from the wireless script and that surprised me but a google search brought up a issue with a HP that was solved by simply going into BIOS and reset to defaults. If that doesn't work, a kernel update might fix it, try 3.11 or 3.13
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Actually I did find something, what country are you in?

cat /etc/default/crda
This might not do anything
inate71

Post by inate71 »

JeremyB wrote:Actually I did find something, what country are you in?

cat /etc/default/crda
I'm in the United States.

I'll give both of your ideas a try. I think I might end up upgrading to Mint 17 though.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

inate71 wrote:
JeremyB wrote:Actually I did find something, what country are you in?

cat /etc/default/crda
I'm in the United States.

I'll give both of your ideas a try. I think I might end up upgrading to Mint 17 though.

There is a chance that the cat /etc/default/crda will have an entry at the bottom of REGDOMAIN=00, if this is the case

sudo gedit /etc/default/crda
and change the 00 to US, US in capital letters. If I remember correctly

iw reg get
also has 00 and should be US, so

sudo iw reg set US
Ask questions about upgrading LM to 17 in Installation & Boot if you choose that route as there a couple ways to keep your files and such
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

you could try
sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off :make sure wlan0 is your wifi.

See ya
Patrick

Return to “Networking”