wifi rtl8192CE not working in Mint 17

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nakedgary

Re: Issues connecting to Wifi

Post by nakedgary »

The-Wizzard is incorrect. I have the same card on Linux Mint 17 (64bit) Mate Rosewill Wireless WiFi Adapter RNX-N250PCe, and it has a RTL8192CE Chipset in it.

Mine was installed automatically upon detection by Mint 17 Mate and works great on ONLY NON SECURED WiFi Networks. (Probably due to not knowing how to install the Rosewill Linux Kernel driver) Re: mx-n250pce_linux2.6.24_v1.0.tar.gz file available on the www.rosewill.com site as a tar.gz download.

Im a newbie really green at Linux op system commands, Can someone tell me (Step by step) how to decompress, and install (Where to) to a folder, and the commands or program to do this On Linux 64bit Mint 17 Mate? Desktop. Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nakedgary

Re: Issues connecting to Wifi

Post by nakedgary »

Maybe my error, the Rosewill one, RNX-N250PC2 WiFi Adapter may have the Atheros 92** series chipset, but my RNX-N250PCe (PCe) has the Realtek RTL8192CE-VA4 Chipset.
Info. on the Realtek [ http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/prod ... =1&PFid=48&... ] Single-Chip IEEE 802.11b/g/n 2T2R WLAN Controller with PCI Express Interface : General Description: The Realtek RTL8192CE-VA4 is a highly integrated single-chip …

Thats the difference in RNX-N250PC2 and a RNX-N250PCe Rosewill Wireless WiFi Adapter Boards.

My Board works OK except any Secured WiFi is unable to connect. [Automatically installed by Linux Mint 17 Mate Upon Detection] (My problem is probably due to not installing the available linux kernel driver downloadable from Rosewill site)

I have no Idea on how to decompress, make, or where to install this ...tar.gz file.

Can someone please guide me Step by Step on how to install: mx-n250pce_linux2.6.24_v1.0tar.gz Driver for Linux from Rosewill on my Linux Mint 17 Mate Desktop.

I can decompress it, but don't know what folder or area to put it or how to actually "Make", and Install this "tar.gz" file.

Thanks for your Help - - Im really Green on Linux or Commands being use to Windows Operating Systems.
nakedgary

wifi rtl8192CE not working in Mint 17

Post by nakedgary »

I have the same problem after installing a Rosewill RNX-N250PCe Wireless WiFi Adapter on my Desktop Linux Mint 17 Mate that uses a Realtek RTL8192CE Chipset .

Linux Mint 17 mate detected and installed the Above Adapter Card Automatically. This card work OK only on Non Secured WiFi Open networks, but not on Secured Athunicated WiFi Spots or networks.

My iTouch5, Android Tablet, and Windows 7 laptop Connects to this Adapter weither Open or Secured, on my NetGear WNDR377 Dual Band Gigabyte Wireless Routerso the Card or Adapter is working correctly.

I think the problem is with my set up is Rosewill does have a Linux Driver for Kernel 2.6.24 (and up to 3.2.x) on their web site for this Adapter and RTL8192CE Chipset, Re: mx-n250pce_linux2.6.24_v1.0.tar.gz BUT I HAVE NO IDEA on how to install this Linux Driver on my Linux Mint 17 Mate Desktop being a windows geek, but very Green and 1st time, for me.

I got it to decompress the file but have no idea where to put it, or what to call the folder, or what to do to "make, install, this tar.gz driver file.

Can someone pleas guide me Step by Step on how to do this (install a tar.gz file/driver) on Linux Mint 17 Mate. [I think this will solve my problem of not being able to connect to Secured WiFi SSID's or Spots) as my iTouch, android Tablet, and Win7 LapTop work just fine from the same NetGear Dual Band Wireless N Gigabit Router: WNDR3700 Open or Secured networks, but the Adapter as is Works on Open unsecured networks but wont connect to Secured networks.

Thanks for you time or suggestions on how to install this tar.gz file .
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: wifi rtl8192CE not working in Mint 17

Post by karlchen »

This post was split off a thread about a different Relatek chip. wifi rtl8188ee was working in Mint16 not in Mint 17.
We will see whether the two problems are really identical. The separate thread has also benn created in order to collect similar posts which you added to yet another thread, wifi rtl8192CE not working in Mint 17
Please, note that hijacking other people's threads is not really appreciated in particular if you start doing so with more than one thread at the same time.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
nakedgary

Post by nakedgary »

Mod "Carlchen", Thanks for your suggestion and spliting the threads, but the two Realtek Chipset mentioned are not different in function or commands. Realtek RTL8188ee and RTL8192ce Chipsets have almost identical functions, and command sets with the exception of MIMO on the RTL8192.

Re:

http://www.realtek.com/search/default.a ... rd=RTL8188

RTL8188CE

Single-Chip IEEE 802.11b/g/n 1T1R WLAN Controller with PCI Express Interface

General Description

The Realtek RTL8188CE is a highly integrated single-chip Wireless LAN (WLAN) PCI Express network interface controller compatible with the 802.11n specification. It combines a MAC, a 1T1R capable baseband, and RF in a single chip. The RTL8188CE provides a complete solution for a high throughput performance wireless client.

RTL8192CE-VA4

Single-Chip IEEE 802.11b/g/n 2T2R WLAN Controller with PCI Express Interface

General Description

The Realtek RTL8192CE-VA4 is a highly integrated single-chip MIMO (Multiple In, Multiple Out) Wireless LAN (WLAN) solution for the wireless high throughput 802.11n specification. It combines a MAC, a 2T2R capable baseband, and RF in a single chip. The RTL8192CE-VA4 provides a complete solution for a high throughput performance wireless client.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would not consider my previous post "Highjacking a thread" about almost identical same Chipsets using the same functions, commands etc. Both problems showing up on on Linux Mate 17.

We will see but I think both problems relate to each other on Mint 17 and will be solved with properly installed "tar.gz" Drivers.

I will notify the forum when and how I solve my problem on Mint 17 mate.

My Adapter card with same functions and chipset from Realtek Does work properly on open WiFi, bun not on Secured.

I believe we will find both problems are Driver issues.

For the Forums Information, Downloads for the Chipsets from Realtek:

Download Page Links
Software:

Downloads

Downloads Search
RTL8188CE (Software)
RTL8188CE-VAU (Software)
RTL8188CUS (Software)
RTL8188RU (Software)
RTL8188SU (Software)
RTL8191SE-VA2 (Software)
RTL8191SU (Software)
RTL8192CE-VA4 (Software)
RTL8192CU (Software)
RTL8192SE (Software)
RTL8192SU (Software)

Sorry, this forum removes the URL HyperLinks above. They are available at the URL Below:

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downlo ... wnloads=tr
weekendpartier1

Post by weekendpartier1 »

Jun 23, 2014.

Hello: this reply is a little off topic but I can't find my topic: Linux Mint 17 Mate doesn't or can't enable the wireless or lan network after come out of Hibernation. A real pain in the neck for me as I work on and offline a lot and like to save each session.

I've been all over the internet looking for a solution. Can't find one that exactly matches my problem - however, I did find an acceptable solution to me:

Turn OFF/disable the LAN or Wifi before hibernation - and VOILA! when i come back from hibernation it finds the network...

Steve
weekendpartier1

Post by weekendpartier1 »

My previous post didn't work - but this does:
sudo service network-manager restart
HGMJrOne

Post by HGMJrOne »

This is what worked for me

Install the rtl8192-all deb
http://www.filewatcher.com/d/Debian/all ... 02064.html

Use network manager and choose your wifi network and then click forget it

Now connect to your network manually by clicking the Connect to a hidden network button at the bottom of your window

My connection speed has increased and no connection losses yet!
briholt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by briholt »

I'm having a similar problem with my rosewill rnx -n 250 pce too. I'm not sure if you got this fixed. I'd also appreciate some step by step fixes.

nakedgary wrote:I have the same problem after installing a Rosewill RNX-N250PCe Wireless WiFi Adapter on my Desktop Linux Mint 17 Mate that uses a Realtek RTL8192CE Chipset .

Linux Mint 17 mate detected and installed the Above Adapter Card Automatically. This card work OK only on Non Secured WiFi Open networks, but not on Secured Athunicated WiFi Spots or networks.

My iTouch5, Android Tablet, and Windows 7 laptop Connects to this Adapter weither Open or Secured, on my NetGear WNDR377 Dual Band Gigabyte Wireless Routerso the Card or Adapter is working correctly.

I think the problem is with my set up is Rosewill does have a Linux Driver for Kernel 2.6.24 (and up to 3.2.x) on their web site for this Adapter and RTL8192CE Chipset, Re: mx-n250pce_linux2.6.24_v1.0.tar.gz BUT I HAVE NO IDEA on how to install this Linux Driver on my Linux Mint 17 Mate Desktop being a windows geek, but very Green and 1st time, for me.

I got it to decompress the file but have no idea where to put it, or what to call the folder, or what to do to "make, install, this tar.gz driver file.

Can someone pleas guide me Step by Step on how to do this (install a tar.gz file/driver) on Linux Mint 17 Mate. [I think this will solve my problem of not being able to connect to Secured WiFi SSID's or Spots) as my iTouch, android Tablet, and Win7 LapTop work just fine from the same NetGear Dual Band Wireless N Gigabit Router: WNDR3700 Open or Secured networks, but the Adapter as is Works on Open unsecured networks but wont connect to Secured networks.

Thanks for you time or suggestions on how to install this tar.gz file .
briholt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by briholt »

HGMJrOne wrote:This is what worked for me

Install the rtl8192-all deb
http://www.filewatcher.com/d/Debian/all ... 02064.html

I'm sorry for asking a simple question, but downloading .deb's as presented in your post still confound me. How does one obtain that particular firmware package. Do you add one of the mirrors to the sources.list? Then what? apt-get would work? what would one pull on? the whole name or just a partial? Thank you.

Return to “Networking”