MATE 17 will not present wi-fi connection choices

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WilhelmGGW
Level 1
Level 1

MATE 17 will not present wi-fi connection choices

Post by WilhelmGGW »

I had Mint MATE 17 installed on an old WinXP laptop and all was well. I couldn't get it to work with its internal Broadcom device, so I got a Panda Wireless USB and it worked great. The first time I booted from the Panda, it found my available wi-fi connections and presented them for me for setup.

Then I had to replace the HDD on that old Dell Inspiron 2200 (purchased 2005) and installed MATE 17 on the virgin drive. After installing and getting all the updates wired to the network, I shut off the computer, unplugged the network wire and plugged in the Panda adaptor. Then when I start the computer and it runs through its startup routine, it flashes a message (upper right) that new wireless locations have been found -- and to select through Network settings. But Network nor Network Connections -- neither present me with a list of available wi-fi connections to choose from. How do I get there from here?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me. I'm only moderately experienced with setting things up like this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seeley

Re: MATE 17 will not present wi-fi connection choices

Post by seeley »

Hi!
A similar problem here (?):
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=170614
Maybe you'll find a hint.
WilhelmGGW
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WilhelmGGW »

Wow! All of this is MUCH too technical for me!

Anyone else have a simpler solution? I REALLY don't want to go back to Windows!
seeley

Post by seeley »

Now added an instruction to my help:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 3&start=20
Sadly, there will not be an easy way to solve such a problem, I suppose.
WilhelmGGW
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WilhelmGGW »

Yipes! You lost me. I'm back to Ubuntu. 14.04 works fine on this issue. Presents and connects perfectly, as it always has. I love MATE. My parting is a sad one. But the software has to work.
WilhelmGGW
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WilhelmGGW »

I'll still lurking here, hoping the dev team will find a fix that makes this work right out of the box. I now have two computers I'd like to load with Mint 17, but I'll not risk rendering them useless by making the move and then not being able to connect wireless.
seeley

Post by seeley »

At the moment, I'm on Maya (LM 17 not yet installed); I suppose in Qiana there is a Menu entry "additional drivers" or similar.
I would try that.
WilhelmGGW
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WilhelmGGW »

seeley wrote:At the moment, I'm on Maya (LM 17 not yet installed); I suppose in Qiana there is a Menu entry "additional drivers" or similar.
I would try that.
That tried already.. to no avail. It shows none installed, none available. I'm using a Panda USB wi-fi device with it's own installed driver set; and that device is working fine. Like I wrote, in Ubuntu 14.04, everything works great. And in Mint, the device works and notifies that there are wi-fi networks available for use. There's just no way to see the list and choose one to connect with.

I really wish the dev team could fix this. Evidently it's a problem for a significant number of users -- or non-users, as it were. No wi-fi, no can use.
seeley

Post by seeley »

Last idea:
See my help, part II:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... art=20/url

You only need 2 Terminal commands.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: MATE 17 will not present wi-fi connection choices

Post by JeremyB »

WilhelmGGW wrote:Yipes! You lost me. I'm back to Ubuntu. 14.04 works fine on this issue. Presents and connects perfectly, as it always has. I love MATE. My parting is a sad one. But the software has to work.
That is strange since LM17 is based on Ubuntu 14.04. Have you looked at

Code: Select all

lsmod
and compared the differences between LM and Ubuntu as any difference is probably what makes it work.

Return to “Networking”