Browser does not work...although email does

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BillyB

Browser does not work...although email does

Post by BillyB »

This relative newbie is perplexed by this one. I have two nearly identical ThinkPad X301's with Mint 13 Cinnamon -- one that I've been using myself for some time and the other that I am setting up for my wife to use.

I am connected to a neighbor's wifi. My wife's laptop connects and the browser (Firefox) works fine. I'm not using any email client on it yet.

My laptop, on the other hand, connects and the email client (Thunderbird) works fine to both send and receive email but the browser will not load a page... it times out. I tried downloading the chromium browser (and the dowload through the Software Manager worked... but Chromium will also not load a page.

I routinely use other Wifi networks as I travel... at coffee shops, my own Verizon JetPack, etc. I don't have this issue on any other network.

I have compared the network settings in the Network Manager of both laptops... both are identical. So far as I can tell the preferences in Firefox are the same. I did notice that My Firefox version is 29.0 and hers is 28.0 -- although, like I say, my Firefox works as it should on several other networks... just not the one in my apartment.

Can anyone help this bewildered newbie?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Browser does not work...although email does

Post by JeremyB »

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep UFW
The only thing I can think of is that you might have ports blocked unless some proxy setting is wrong in the browser

Return to “Networking”