Mint 17 wifi issues vs 16

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Mint 17 wifi issues vs 16

Post by JeremyB »

Felony wrote:That TLP command did nothing. It just put me back to a prompt.

I found the following in my router that had a drop down box to only choose one of the options:

Compatibility Mode: 802.11b/g/n
Legacy Mode: 802.11b/g
Performance Mode: 802.11n

It was set on Compatibility Mode, so I'm switching to Legacy Mode and testing again. I hope I don't lose performance with "n"

Update: I did the changes in the router and it still disconnected during downloads.

I'm going to install the 3.13.0-29 and see what happens. I just need to find where to download it! LOL!
If those changes don't work, I would recommend installing Ubuntu 14.04 as a double/triple boot depending on what you have now and start a topic on ubuntuforums.org

They will likely have you do the same as I have but if things aren't fixed you can file a bug report with Ubuntu and they might figure it out when the bug team can get to it

It looks like I have 178 Mb of updates to install
Felony

Post by Felony »

I installed the kernel you suggested and it was a no-go.

I'll go the Ubuntu route, even though I don't want to, and if you can think of anything else, please let me know. I really appreciate all of your help!
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Felony wrote:I installed the kernel you suggested and it was a no-go.

I'll go the Ubuntu route, even though I don't want to, and if you can think of anything else, please let me know. I really appreciate all of your help!
No problem, there are a few more posters on ubuntuforums that are really good at wireless troubleshooting and any fix you find there should work with LM.
Treppenhouse

Post by Treppenhouse »

Hello Felony,
did you find a solution to your problem?

I am having the same issue (wifi problems after upgrading from Linux Mint 16 to 17) and no idea how to solve it.

Thanks in advance!
ytkach

Post by ytkach »

Hello all.

Just yesterday I've installed LM17 on laptop and got almost the same issues. Before that I was using LM14 - everything was working fine. I have HP laptop with Atheros wifi card.
I was able to successfully connect to wifi, but it was dropping packages every 2-5 minutes and Internet was unusable. It was not completely disconnecting, but I didn't get the packets at all for some time.

The solution that helped me I found here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/224619/h ... eros-ath9k

Basically, I've did the following:
  • Created

Code: Select all

/etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf
    with

options ath9k nohwcrypt=1
    Added

blacklist hp-wmi 
    to

/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    Author in original post was adding acer-wmi. As I understand, there are different modules for different manufactures.
Hope that helps somebody :)
HGMJrOne

Post by HGMJrOne »

I am new to the Linux world, but this is what worked for me. I installed the rtl8192 all deb. in the network manager I chose to forget my wifi network, then I added it back manually by using Connect to a hidden network. My connection speed increased and hasn't showed any signs of dropping.

http://www.filewatcher.com/d/Debian/all ... 02064.html
inate71

Post by inate71 »

I've been having similar issues. Wifi is great when I'm connected to a power source--the moment I unplug my laptop, Wifi get's iffy, and I tend to run into disconnects frequently. I've tried all kernels from 3.13.0-27 through 3.13.0-32. However, I should note that 3.13.0-24 seems to work alright; there is tweak to add for me that makes it better--check the link below to see what I mean.

I have a Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wifi card. Also, I found this and it helped with Wifi speeds being sporadic and weird: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6235 wifi is slow, Launchpad Bug.
Rokas

Post by Rokas »

I had this issue on HP 470 G2 laptop with Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8723BE wlan card.

This helped solve it
echo "options rtl8723be fwlps=N ips=N" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723be.conf
bigbossCompany

Post by bigbossCompany »

Check this video, I hope it will help.. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mi30s56bhQ
dig59017

Post by dig59017 »

bigbossCompany wrote:Check this video, I hope it will help.. ;)

Thank you for taking the time to put this up. I am having a similar problem with 17.1 I'm trying to follow your directions. Is there some special configuration that you need on Update Manager to pick up the Kali updates? I created the file with the references in sources.list.d, but Update Manager does not pick them up? I'm not an expert with Linux so I'm not sure what might have gone wrong. It seems pretty simple but doesn't work for me. Thanks!

Edit: Never mind, after a restart it worked to do the updates as shown in the video. However, the problem still persists. I've made a new post to see if I can get help, but any further advice would be great!
bigbossCompany

Post by bigbossCompany »

dig59017 wrote:
bigbossCompany wrote:Check this video, I hope it will help.. ;)

Thank you for taking the time to put this up. I am having a similar problem with 17.1 I'm trying to follow your directions. Is there some special configuration that you need on Update Manager to pick up the Kali updates? I created the file with the references in sources.list.d, but Update Manager does not pick them up? I'm not an expert with Linux so I'm not sure what might have gone wrong. It seems pretty simple but doesn't work for me. Thanks!

Edit: Never mind, after a restart it worked to do the updates as shown in the video. However, the problem still persists. I've made a new post to see if I can get help, but any further advice would be great!

Hey, did you install the firmware driver of your wireless adapter?? Because in the video is not shown since the adapter has already been installed. I am waiting your response soon to help you further.
kf6eml

Post by kf6eml »

I've been having the disconnect problem, too, though downloading is not a problem. Anything that uses the wi-fi continuously, such as streaming audio/video or torrent up/download keeps the connection stable, though torrent activity slows web browsing to a crawl.
When I'm using it intermittently, e.g. browsing with no other programs running, it will randomly disconnect, even moments after loading a page.
I suspect it's the wi-fi power save feature, though why it would cut me off shortly after loading a page is a mystery.

I tried the following:

sudo iw wlan0 power_save off
but got an error. It seems you need to add the "set" command:

sudo iw wlan0 set power_save off
So far, it hasn't disconnected again.

Return to “Networking”