Mint 17 wifi issues vs 16

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Mint 17 wifi issues vs 16

Post by JeremyB »

Felony wrote:Maybe I should try to reinstall TLP or remove it altogether. I wonder if it is incorrectly identifying a lack of network use and shutting it down even though I'm on AC.
I would remove it and see what happens unless you still have the live media you used to install LM17 with. Boot it up and see if the wifi connection is any better, if the connection is better, it could be a few things, updates messed up wifi or TLP
zogbee

Post by zogbee »

I recently did a clean install of Linux Mint 17 and was having the same issues described in this thread. I also had tlp installed. Removing tlp appears to have fixed the issue.
zogbee

Post by zogbee »

The modprobe iwlwifi 11n_disable=1 trick seemed to work as well, but less reliably. FYI
BobSmith72

Post by BobSmith72 »

This sounds similar to your problem
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1293569
Felony

Post by Felony »

Jeremy,

I did this command:

ls /lib/firmware | grep iwlwifi-6000g2b

This was my response:

iwlwifi-6000g2b-6.ucode

I had tried: options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1, but the problem persists

I had a clean install of mint 17, then disabled TLP (just in case), then upgraded to 3.15.0 kernel. All of this was a no go.

What I have read and researched is that this output of: iwlwifi-6000g2b-6.ucode, could be up to -7 -8 or -9 now. How do I make the change to one of these instead of -6 to see if it corrects my problem? People have been saying that -7, but others have been saying -9 is also working.

What do I do to get this to load?

Thanks!
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: Mint 17 wifi issues vs 16

Post by JeremyB »

Felony wrote:Jeremy,

I did this command:

This was my response:

iwlwifi-6000g2b-6.ucode

I had a clean install of mint 17, then disabled TLP (just in case), then upgraded to 3.15.0 kernel. All of this was a no go.

What I have read and researched is that this output of: iwlwifi-6000g2b-6.ucode, could be up to -7 -8 or -9 now. How do I make the change to one of these instead of -6 to see if it corrects my problem? People have been saying that -7, but others have been saying -9 is also working.

Thanks!
I bet you saw the iwlwifi-7620 ucodes as nothing has changed since kernel 3.2 for the 6000g2b

Code: Select all

wget -N -t 5 -T 10 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script && chmod +x wireless_script && ./wireless_script
hopefully this will reveal something with a fresh install
Felony

Post by Felony »

JeremyB wrote:

I did this command:

This was my response:

iwlwifi-6000g2b-6.ucode

Thanks!
I bet you saw the iwlwifi-7620 ucodes as nothing has changed since kernel 3.2 for the 6000g2b

wget -N -t 5 -T 10 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script && chmod +x wireless_script && ./wireless_script

Weird. The first part of the command seemed to work, but I encounter this:

Results archived in "wireless-info.tar.gz", as they exceed the 19.5 kB size limit for .txt files on the Ubuntu Forums.

Is that unusual? Do I need to do anything else to run it?

This was the output of the entire command, just in case:

--2014-06-27 12:25:20-- http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script
Resolving dl.dropbox.com (dl.dropbox.com)... 23.23.145.123
Connecting to dl.dropbox.com (dl.dropbox.com)|23.23.145.123|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 FOUND
Location: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5726 ... ess_script [following]
--2014-06-27 12:25:20-- http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5726 ... ess_script
Resolving dl.dropboxusercontent.com (dl.dropboxusercontent.com)... 54.225.139.126, 107.20.172.65, 54.204.12.159, ...
Connecting to dl.dropboxusercontent.com (dl.dropboxusercontent.com)|54.225.139.126|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 4352 (4.2K) [text/plain]
Last-modified header missing -- time-stamps turned off.
--2014-06-27 12:25:21-- http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5726 ... ess_script
Reusing existing connection to dl.dropboxusercontent.com:80.
Saving to: ‘wireless_script’

100%[======================================================>] 4,352 --.-K/s in 0.05s

2014-06-27 12:25:21 (82.5 KB/s) - ‘wireless_script’ saved [4352/4352]

Results archived in "wireless-info.tar.gz", as they exceed the 19.5 kB size limit for .txt files on the Ubuntu Forums.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Felony wrote:
JeremyB wrote:

I did this command:

This was my response:

iwlwifi-6000g2b-6.ucode

Thanks!

Weird. The first part of the command seemed to work, but I encounter this:

Is that unusual? Do I need to do anything else to run it?

This was the output of the entire command, just in case:

--2014-06-27 12:25:20-- http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script
Resolving dl.dropbox.com (dl.dropbox.com)... 23.23.145.123
Connecting to dl.dropbox.com (dl.dropbox.com)|23.23.145.123|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 FOUND
Location: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5726 ... ess_script [following]
--2014-06-27 12:25:20-- http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5726 ... ess_script
Resolving dl.dropboxusercontent.com (dl.dropboxusercontent.com)... 54.225.139.126, 107.20.172.65, 54.204.12.159, ...
Connecting to dl.dropboxusercontent.com (dl.dropboxusercontent.com)|54.225.139.126|:80... connected.
Last-modified header missing -- time-stamps turned off.
--2014-06-27 12:25:21-- http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5726 ... ess_script
Reusing existing connection to dl.dropboxusercontent.com:80.
Saving to: ‘wireless_script’

100%[======================================================>] 4,352 --.-K/s in 0.05s

2014-06-27 12:25:21 (82.5 KB/s) - ‘wireless_script’ saved [4352/4352]

You should be able to find wireless-info.tar.gz in your home directory and use the forums upload attachment to attach the file to your next post. If you want to read it just double click on the file and then double click on the text file that it contains.
Felony

Post by Felony »

Here it is Jeremy
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Is this; HP-Print-44-ENVY 4500 series, your printer? I would change the channel your router is using to see if it makes any difference

This makes me wonder "wlan0: deauthenticated from <MAC address removed> (Reason: 6=CLASS2_FRAME_FROM_NONAUTH_STA)" is from the dmesg log
You should be able to see the MAC address from your computer

dmesg | grep FRAME_FROM_NONAUTH
and compare the MAC address to ones from

iwlist scan
and see if the error MAC is the same as your routers- or if it is coming from somewhere else
Felony

Post by Felony »

JeremyB wrote:Is this; HP-Print-44-ENVY 4500 series, your printer? I would change the channel your router is using to see if it makes any difference

This makes me wonder "wlan0: deauthenticated from <MAC address removed> (Reason: 6=CLASS2_FRAME_FROM_NONAUTH_STA)" is from the dmesg log

iwlist scan
and see if the error MAC is the same as your routers- or if it is coming from somewhere else
That's weird. I don't have a printer and my laptop is an HP, but not the ENVY. It's a dv6qte. I guess they could have used the same hardware because they were released at the same time.

So, no printer and a similar computer.

What would you like me to do?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Felony wrote:
JeremyB wrote:Is this; HP-Print-44-ENVY 4500 series, your printer? I would change the channel your router is using to see if it makes any difference

iwlist scan
That's weird. I don't have a printer and my laptop is an HP, but not the ENVY. It's a dv6qte. I guess they could have used the same hardware because they were released at the same time.

So, no printer and a similar computer.

What would you like me to do?
Change the channel your router is on. A neighbor must have a printer then
pressurehead

Post by pressurehead »

I have a clean install of mint 17 as well and I am having this disconnect problem also. I stay connected fine when I am doing things like browsing or Gmail but as soon as I try to download a larger file I get the disconnect. Can anyone help me with this problem?
Felony

Post by Felony »

pressurehead wrote:I have a clean install of mint 17 as well and I am having this disconnect problem also. I stay connected fine when I am doing things like browsing or Gmail but as soon as I try to download a larger file I get the disconnect. Can anyone help me with this problem?
Jeremy,

This is almost EXACTLY my issue.

I was just browsing the last two days and I don't think I had one disconnect, but have had five tonight while downloading big files at top speed. The printer must just belong to one of my neighbors, because it shows up on the wireless selections and is password protected.

This give you any ideas?
Felony

Post by Felony »

In fact, not a minute after I posted my last post, I was disconnected again!
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Felony wrote:In fact, not a minute after I posted my last post, I was disconnected again!
Lets see what the parameters are set to

grep -R [[:alnum:]] /sys/module/iwl*/parameters
ktheking

Post by ktheking »

The guy in this thread might have struck gold : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=171718

My theory is the following :

With the latest release (maybe the earlier ones too) ,have the opensource wifi drivers gained the upperhand when assigned to hardware. The drivers from the vendors don't play along anymore.

So you could use the technique described in this thread to blacklist the opensource driver,and next to it install your own driver that is better made for it,and force the system to use that driver.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

ktheking wrote:The guy in this thread might have struck gold : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=171718

My theory is the following :

With the latest release (maybe the earlier ones too) ,have the opensource wifi drivers gained the upperhand when assigned to hardware. The drivers from the vendors don't play along anymore.

So you could use the technique described in this thread to blacklist the opensource driver,and next to it install your own driver that is better made for it,and force the system to use that driver.
That isn't an option for intel wireless. I have put Lm 17 on 6 laptops with intel wifi and have had 0 issues with the drivers that were used from the iso.
Felony

Post by Felony »

JeremyB wrote:
Felony wrote:In fact, not a minute after I posted my last post, I was disconnected again!

Here is the result of those commands:

/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/nvm_file:(null)
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/swcrypto:0
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/power_save:N
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/led_mode:0
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/amsdu_size_8K:0
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/fw_restart:Y
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/bt_coex_active:Y
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/11n_disable:1
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/antenna_coupling:0
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/wd_disable:1
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/power_level:0
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Felony wrote:
JeremyB wrote:

Here is the result of those commands:

/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/nvm_file:(null)
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/swcrypto:0
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/power_save:N
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/led_mode:0
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/amsdu_size_8K:0
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/fw_restart:Y
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/bt_coex_active:Y
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/11n_disable:1
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/antenna_coupling:0
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/wd_disable:1
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/power_level:0

sudo modprobe -rv iwlwifi