Advanced driver settings for Intel WiFi cards

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
code65536

Advanced driver settings for Intel WiFi cards

Post by code65536 »

I have a computer with an Intel "Centrino" 6200 WLAN card.

In Windows, there is an "Advanced" tab in the driver configuration that lets me set various parameters for the card. Notably, it lets me change the channel width for 2.4GHz networks (Intel defaults to 20MHz-only, but it can be changed to used either 20 or 40MHz depending on what the access point supports), and it lets me choose a preferred band (i.e., if there is a 2.4GHz network and a 5GHz network with the same SSID, I can tell it that I prefer the 5GHz, whereas the by default, the card will sometimes pick the 2.4GHz and sometimes pick the 5GHz).

I'm looking for a way to make similar configuration changes in Linux, but I haven't found where these settings are exposed. Are they configurable at all?

I've looked at the page for iwlwifi, but haven't yet found anything that would point me in the right direction.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oODeanOo

Re: Advanced driver settings for Intel WiFi cards

Post by oODeanOo »

Not too sure about the bandwidth, but I have my router set to 40mhz and it connects no problem, as far as choosing 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz it's just a case of choosing the MAC address for the 5Ghz SSID under the BSSID option in the Network Connections application.

You can usually find the associated MAC address for each band on the router.

Dean

Return to “Networking”