Need help installing WNDA3100 v2

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mayf

Need help installing WNDA3100 v2

Post by mayf »

Hello, and thaks. I am a newbie, and hope this isn't just a newbie question. Also hope the terminal output below gives you all you need.
As you can see, Mint can see my NetGear adapter, but I don't quite understand how to get it operational. Most posts regarding this adapter were several years old and I couldn't get anything from them.

I appreciate your help.

System: Host: Michael-Linux-trial Kernel: 3.11.0-12-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.1)
Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 16 Petra
Machine: System: TOSHIBA product: Satellite M105 version: PSMA0U-0F201T
Mobo: TOSHIBA model: HAQAA version: Null Bios: TOSHIBA version: V1.70 date: 04/22/2006
CPU: Single core Intel CPU T1350 (-UP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (nx sse sse2 sse3) bmips: 3724.02 clocked at 800.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.14.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x800@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 9.2.1 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.11.0-12-generic
Network: Card-1: Intel PRO/100 VM Network Connection driver: e100 ver: 3.5.24-k2-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 05:08.0
IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection driver: iwl3945 ver: in-tree:s bus-ID: 03:00.0
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Card-3: NetGear WNDA3100v2 802.11abgn [Broadcom BCM4323] usb-ID: 0846:9011
IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A
Drives: HDD Total Size: 79.8GB (63.2% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: HTS541080G9SA00 size: 79.8GB
Partition: ID: / size: 15G used: 3.6G (26%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 1.60GB used: 0.01GB (0%) fs: swap
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Need help installing WNDA3100 v2

Post by daveinuk »

Hello,

I don't have experience of that dongle myself but a search threw this up . . . . .

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 175430780/

If you open up synaptic package manager from the menu then paste this: ndiswrapper-dkms

It should bring up the package that you can then mark for installation and see if that works for you.

HTH
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

Hi mayf

I'm also a newbie and read your post as part of my 'mission to learn'.. though I'm not sure what that makes me :lol:

Out of interest I started googling to find support info for the chipset used by your wireless adapter and discovered that it doesn't look to be natively supported, which means you have to jump through hoops to make a windows driver work with an extra software layer as daveinuk has pointed you towards. This may seem like something you wish to attempt, in which case go for it :) .. Just thought it worth pointing out though that you can get wireless adapters that are known to work in linux relatively cheaply, such as the one recommended by WarfRat in this 10 month old post http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 4&p=751477, so you may decide that it is simply not worth the effort to get your existing wireless adapter working.... The choice, as they say, is yours :D
mayf

Post by mayf »

Thanks to daveinuk and WinterTroubles for both your answers.

First, I read two or more older posts about the ndiswrapper solution, and that it ultimately seemed to end with the wireless connection turning off after a minute. So, since I'm pretty novice, I didn't want to go down that path.

Frankly, I hadn't considered buying a Linux-specific adapter. Couldn't see the forest for the trees and all that.

I only started this Linux adventure because XP went unsupported, and I didn't want to buy a new laptop. It has been an adventure, and I like everything about it, except not being able to use my NetGear adapter. I am using the 8-year-old factory wifi card, which only gives me about a third of the speed I could be getting with a new one. So, will probably spring for the ASUS adapter WinterTroubles has suggested.

So, not SOLVED yet, but will let you know. Again, thanks for the responses.

Mayf
mayf

Post by mayf »

OK, still stumbling. WinterTroubles, I went to WarfRat's link which suggested anything with a Ralink RT3072 chipset would work. So, started looking, and many "adapters" are out there with that chip, but could only find a large form factor such as would sit on a desk and wire to laptop with a cable. I may be picky, but really want one that just plugs into my USB port.

I may just be part-time-linux enough that I am just not spending enough time digging. Will continue to look for small form factor, and any links to Mint-happy small adapters will be appreciated.

mayf
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

Hi mayf

Did you scroll to the bottom of the topic I posted the link to? there is a link to the amazon page for the USB dongle mentioned by warfrat :D

Here is the link to save you hunting through the topic http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-USB-N13-Wi ... B+Adapter.

Of course it goes without saying that I can't actually recommend the above wireless dongle, if I used one I wouldn't have had to link to other posts :lol:
mayf

Post by mayf »

Hi WinterTroubles,

Thank you so much.

Your link takes me to Amazon.uk, and I am in the US. (Ah, the Global Village. I still can't get used to it) Amazon US similar products, where described, only spec up through Linux 2.6. Now, and here is where Newbie comes into play, but I think, in Mint 16, my system is 3.1 or so. Assuming all this is accurate, would you anticipate any problems with 3.1 dealing with a chip only recommended through 2.6?

I'm still learning this thing. Don't hesitate to point out my erroneous conclusions.

Thanks,
Mayf
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

Apologies for being euro-centric :lol:

I can't comment directly and compatibility, unfortunately, as I'm still a newbie and haven't bought a wireless dongle since switching to Linux.

If you swap the '.co.uk' in the link I posted for '.com' then that should take you to the same product on the, more useful to you, US site assuming there is one listed.

Edit.. Here is the link adjusted for your location http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-USB-N13-Wire ... B+Adapter.

My best advice regarding exactly which wireless dongle will work would be to decide which one's you are considering, based on price/suggested compatibility/delivery time (or even colour if you like :mrgreen: ) and then start a new topic with a nice clear subject header asking if anyone knows which will work on your system. It's also probably worth mentioning that as support for 16 ends soon you may want to check what works with 17, as one assumes you will upgrade at some point.

Hope this helps

WT

Return to “Networking”