LM16 Petra Wireless Network Disconnects and Won't Let me Re-

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chris_debian

LM16 Petra Wireless Network Disconnects and Won't Let me Re-

Post by chris_debian »

Hi, all.

I'm using LM 16 'Petra', XFCE. I have recently started using wi-fi as my only connection to my PC, and things have generally been fine, with a good strong signal. On two occasions, the wi-fi connection has been behaving normally (working), then it drops off and I am unable to get it to re-start. My wifi is on wlan0 and is using 'rt61pci' as the driver.

When the connection 'drops off', I try to restart the wi-fi by de-selecting 'Enable wifi' (from the 'system tray'), and then re-selecting 'Enable wi-fi'. This doesn't help. I then try doing the same with the 'Enable networking' option. What I would expect to see, is a list of wi-fi networks for me to join, but these don't appear, so I can't click on one to re-establish the connection.

Has anyone else seen this, or had a similar problem. At the moment, the only way I can re-establish a connection is to re-boot the box, and that's not what I expect from GNU/ Linux.

Cheers,

Chris.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
chris_debian

Re: LM16 Petra Wireless Network Disconnects and Won't Let me

Post by chris_debian »

And it's happened again, another reboot. 'ifquery wlan0' doesn't recognise my previously recognised interface.

At this point I am looking at something else to control my network, and if this doesn't drop in nicely, I'll look at a distro that does. Looks like 'network-manager' is currently doing the job. I've used wicd with other distros.

I'd much prefer to know that I can adjust something to make my network manager more persistent.

Thanks,

Chris.
chris_debian

Re: LM16 Petra Wireless Network Disconnects and Won't Let me

Post by chris_debian »

Hmmm, wicd has a d-bus error, so that's not a quick workaround. I'll see whether any of the LM distros are using wicd by default, because I can't work with a unhelpful network manager. :-(

Return to “Networking”