[SOLVED] Cant connect to wifi

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xieu90

Re: Cant connect to wifi

Post by xieu90 »

when I run that command there wont be anything, tried when wifi on and off
do I have to install something for that command?or should i install wicd network manager maybe ?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: Cant connect to wifi

Post by JeremyB »

xieu90 wrote:when I run that command there wont be anything, tried when wifi on and off
do I have to install something for that command?or should i install wicd network manager maybe ?
I was thinking that a patch file failed to load when you had connection problems but that isn't the case because it would have shown using the command.

I would try WICD only if you continue having issues with Mate's network manager
WesternSlope
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WesternSlope »

I messed around for two days with my same problem until I found this. I haven't been dropped sense. I did nothing, but the apt-get. A simple
sudo apt-get install wicd
will do it. You can read about it here.
WIDC
xieu90

Post by xieu90 »

I dont know what really was the problem, and i dont really know what solved it
all i did was update, copy the rtlwifi onto desktop
and using commands from jeremy

Code: Select all

sudo rmmod rtl8188ee
sudo modprobe rtl8188ee swenc=1
dmesg | grep patch
then shutdown and start the laptop(not restart, restart = next time still no network)

wicd and nm-applet work together or dont work together.
and when both dont work thrn wicd said I gave bad password(though it used previous password and i didnt give it anything)
So I will mark this problem as solved. hope others with similar problem can find anything helpful.
and many thanks to JeremyB
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: Cant connect to wifi

Post by JeremyB »

xieu90 wrote:I dont know what really was the problem, and i dont really know what solved it
all i did was update, copy the rtlwifi onto desktop
and using commands from jeremy

sudo rmmod rtl8188ee
sudo modprobe rtl8188ee swenc=1
dmesg | grep patch
then shutdown and start the laptop(not restart, restart = next time still no network)

wicd and nm-applet work together or dont work together.
and when both dont work thrn wicd said I gave bad password(though it used previous password and i didnt give it anything)
So I will mark this problem as solved. hope others with similar problem can find anything helpful.
and many thanks to JeremyB
The swenc=1 option would have not survived a reboot and would have returned to the default setting. If you wish to make the option work all the time

echo "options rtl8188ee swenc=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8188ee.conf
RWHess
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Cant connect to wifi

Post by RWHess »

FWIW: I had similar problems with a 5 year old Toshiba laptop and the following worked for me (no idea why) on LM17 Qiana MATE, sole OS.

1. Installed live CD LM17 and Network Manager worked perfectly: wired and wireless.
2. Installed to HDD from desktop prompt and all loaded fine EXCEPT Network Manager?! Wired worked but no wireless with the "Waiting for Network Connection" and "60 seconds more" messages every boot.
3. Tried 1 & 2 again with same result.
4. Installed LUBUNTU 14.04, replacing LM17, and added wicd: no go with wireless either!
5. Reinstalled LM17, tried wired and wireless and both worked like step 1.
6. Installed to HDD from desktop prompt, overwriting LUBUNTU, and THIS time Network Manager loaded perfectly and both my wired and wireless connections work as they should.

My guess is that my first attempt to install from Live corrupted some file and repeating that install simply left the corrupted file in place during my second Live install attempt. (I could probably have achieved the same result by formatting the HDD from the Live version and avoid the LUBUNTU detour but....) The "take-away" from my experience would seem to be that reinstalling over a failed install doesn't automatically delete ALL the previous files??

MORAL: If at first.......

Thanks to the LM team for a great product!!
RWHess

Return to “Networking”