[solved]use older kernel to solve wireless issue - yes/no?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brencameron

[solved]use older kernel to solve wireless issue - yes/no?

Post by brencameron »

Currently I have Mint 17 (Cinnamon, amd64) installed, with kernel 3.13.0-24-generic, and a rtl8188ee Realtek wireless card. I lose the wifi connection anywhere between 5 to 15 minutes after logging in. This problem also happened under Ubuntu 14.04 and Kubuntu 14.04, and I know Mint 17 isn't directly to blame for it.
I also have installed LMDE on the same machine (dual-booting) which uses the older kernel 3.11.2-amd64, and have no problems at all staying connected. When I was on Mint 16 I never lost my connection while logged in.

My question is: Is the simplest solution just to get the correct 3 amd64 kernel files (headers-all, headers-generic, and image-generic) for the 3.11 kernel and install them into Mint 17, then update GRUB so I will always use that older kernel, until someone upstream gets this fixed?

Although I like LMDE, I would much prefer to be using Mint 17 full time.

EDIT: There was a new kernel, 3.13.0-27-generic, which seems to have fixed my issue as of Monday morning.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: install older kernel to solve wireless issue - yes/no?

Post by wayne128 »

brencameron wrote: My question is: Is the simplest solution just to get the correct 3 amd64 kernel files (headers-all, headers-generic, and image-generic) for the 3.11 kernel and install them into Mint 17, then update GRUB so I will always use that older kernel, until someone upstream gets this fixed?

Although I like LMDE, I would much prefer to be using Mint 17 full time.

It is simple, yes, to install an old kernel, such as 3.11

However, I would not use 3.11 because it is not the 'LTS kernel', or long-term-support kernel.
You will know which is LTS kernel, those used in Debian Wheezy, 3.2 or Linuxmint 13, etc
brencameron

Re: install older kernel to solve wireless issue - yes/no?

Post by brencameron »

I understand your point - hadn't considered that. But I just discovered, while looking up which kernel was in 12.04, that the 12.04.4 point upgrade included a kernel upgrade to 3.11 (mentioned at OMGUbuntu on 2/6/14). I think it's because LTS releases get backports for certain things, so that they are not falling too far behind.

Return to “Networking”