Can't connect to WiFi network on Linux but can on Windows?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
starflower

Can't connect to WiFi network on Linux but can on Windows?

Post by starflower »

I am working away from home in a small town. For some reason I just cannot connect to Wifi networks desopite having the correct password. However, i can if I use Win XP. I have tried both Mint 16 and PC Linux.
It also seems to be the case anywhere I try in the town. I'm assuming that since this is a small community all internet service is provided by the same company as there is very little choice here.

I just dont understand why it wont connect on Linux but will on a very dated editiuon of Windows? I'm wonder if there are any settings I can tweak to get me in on Linux? Any sugestiions?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Can't connect to WiFi network on Linux but can on Window

Post by JeremyB »

Can you post the results of

Code: Select all

lspci

lsusb

lsmod
The manufacturers will go out of there way to make sure their PC's will run on windows. A few are starting to care about linux after win8 dropped pc sales
crossroads

Re: Can't connect to WiFi network on Linux but can on Window

Post by crossroads »

Think Penguin Products sells a plug and play USB Wireless stick that worked great on my Gateway Laptop Model 210 https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/ ... sb-adapter. Cost 21.00 plus shipping. Recieved mine in 2-3 days regular mail. I was using a Linksys wireless notebook adapter which worked on XP, but I couldn't get it configured for Linux Minte Petra 16. I've since upgraded to Linux 17, and it performs equally well. I followed several post that suggested how to upload the applicable drivers and make the appropriate adjustsment with text editors -- too advanced for me to follow, though I tried. If you are willing to spend the few extra dolars this might be the easiest route for you. Good luck

Return to “Networking”