[SOLVED] Intel 3945ABG wireless wont connect Mint 14

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrBrushTooth

Re: Intel 3945ABG wireless wont connect Mint 14

Post by MrBrushTooth »

Tried it but no effect sadly.

As for wicd, looking up the problem with obtaining the IP, it seemed to be solved for most people by setting it manually, but when I did that I just get an error verifying the access point. This thing is just determined not to work for me!

It's definately interfacing with the router though, checking the device list while it's trying to connect it will show up, and has an IP assigned etc, but then the connection fails and it falls off the list.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

My last step before replacement would be to remove it after power down and reinstall it and then boot.

I have an older toshiba satellite with the same wifi on LM 17 Cinnamon and it has worked great, so it can be difficult to diagnose without the exact same hardware. I hate getting beat by a computer
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kalyk »

I'm with you on that, JeremyB, problem is that it sounds quite specific to the laptop.
It feels like it is solvable, but I think we tried all that can be done from a distance.
Perhaps there is someone else with similar hardware who has the golden tip :?:
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
MrBrushTooth

Post by MrBrushTooth »

JeremyB wrote:I hate getting beat by a computer
Aye, and this ones particularly frustrating for me, simply because of all the solutions there seem to be for getting it working that didn't pan out. So many "ahh yeah that sounds like it will fix it" moments. Seems like something unusual effecting it.

I think I will put windows back on it first, just to double check that it's working and if it does I'll try some even older versions of mint, and maybe some other distros see what happens maybe try to get a hold of another router. I'll update with the results at one point.
MrBrushTooth

Post by MrBrushTooth »

OK, well I bit the bullet and spent almost 2 hours with these blasted HP recovery discs re-installing windows (seriously it took me less time to go from mint 14 to 13 to 17) just to make sure the wifi was still working there too and it wasn't able to connect with windows either so it must be just borked.

I don't know if something happened when I installed the new hard drive (not likely imo) or whether it's just one of those crazy fluke cooincedences computers like to pull, but removing and reinstalling the thing did nothing. So now I feel like I wasted everyones time with this, and I will mark as solved.

Thanks for all the help regardless, was much appreaciated!
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

MrBrushTooth wrote:OK, well I bit the bullet and spent almost 2 hours with these blasted HP recovery discs re-installing windows (seriously it took me less time to go from mint 14 to 13 to 17) just to make sure the wifi was still working there too and it wasn't able to connect with windows either so it must be just borked.

I don't know if something happened when I installed the new hard drive (not likely imo) or whether it's just one of those crazy fluke cooincedences computers like to pull, but removing and reinstalling the thing did nothing. So now I feel like I wasted everyones time with this, and I will mark as solved.

Thanks for all the help regardless, was much appreaciated!
Have you tried doing a reset on the router or connecting to a different router?
MrBrushTooth

Re: [SOLVED] Intel 3945ABG wireless wont connect Mint 14

Post by MrBrushTooth »

I tried a reset but I've not yet been able to try another router. I might bring it with me next time I go somewhere with wifi and test it out before replacing the card in the laptop though. Wanted to test it here, but I can't get a hold of another router atm.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: [SOLVED] Intel 3945ABG wireless wont connect Mint 14

Post by JeremyB »

It happened to me once after updating my current android smartphone, it wouldn't stay connected to my router. Before the update I had a nice connection. I then switched from a satellite ISP to a cellular one with a hotspot and the phone connects everytime to the hotspot. The mini PCIe chips are fairly cheap to replace

Return to “Networking”