mint 'incompatible' with school network

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lkr

mint 'incompatible' with school network

Post by Lkr »

Hey guys, I'm having trouble connecting my laptop to my school's wifi network. They tell me that they don't officially support Linux, and as a result, it just "doesn't work" with the network for whatever reason. I have tried manually configuring my network settings, and can't figure it out either. Is it possible that the OS is incompatible with a wifi network? One of the guys at the help desk told me it works with 12.04(which leads me to believe ubuntu is the only distro he knows about), and someone in a reddit thread told me that it worked for him out of the box on mint 14. i'm currently running 16, which is the minimum needed for my GPU from what I understand(AMD hybrid graphics).

This page here shows my school's network configuration profile: http://www.cst.ucf.edu/ucf-wpa2-setting ... iguration/
unlike windows, i can't find a way in the gui to add two certificates for the connection, but i'm not sure if that is the issue or not.

If anyone has any idea what the issue is and a fix, or just a flat out confirmation that there is some incompatibility with the school network, I would really appreciate it. I would hate to have to stop using mint only because my OS choice isn't "supported" by a public university(which I'm having a hard time believing, given that UCF is well known for having a lot of engineers. i wish i knew someone else running mint 16 that might know something irl).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
qaokiz

Re: mint 'incompatible' with school network

Post by qaokiz »

Are you able to connect to a different wifi network with Mint?
Lkr

Post by Lkr »

Yes, my home wifi and the school's unsecured web authorization networks work just fine
endafresh

Post by endafresh »

That is amusing and an interesting setup to use. I don't know of many universities that go to that length to secure their networks (installing certificates, really!?).

That said, it is a fairly simple process to do if you know what you're doing. If you don't know then go to your university's IT dept and bug them. If they refuse to help you (and every single one of those derps NEED to know some Unix/Linux stuff to be certified at their jobs) then you file an accessibility complaint with the educational board and the US Dept of Education.

No public university (or any university that receives federal funds) is permitted to discriminate with accessibility to the material, regardless of what OS you're using. Period. If they refuse to help you then they run the risk of losing their Federal 'Title' funds and all eligibility to receive any Federal Student Loan funds as well.

If all else fails, contact other IT students and see if they can help you.
Lkr

Post by Lkr »

i got it running by playing with a few of the certificates. I am looking for a summer job and I am half tempted to just go slam my laptop desk down at the desk where I originally asked for help and say that this is my resume, but unfortunately I am not that ballsy of a person(or that much of a dick)
LucidSheep

Post by LucidSheep »

Lkr wrote:i got it running by playing with a few of the certificates. I am looking for a summer job and I am half tempted to just go slam my laptop desk down at the desk where I originally asked for help and say that this is my resume, but unfortunately I am not that ballsy of a person(or that much of a dick)
Hey, I'm in the exact same situation as you. The regular connection works but the secured connection does not work at my school. Can you tell how you solved your problem because I know that my school also uses certificate authority. I'm on linux mint 17. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

This bug report comment has some info that may help
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... comments/4

One thing that has been recommended is not to delete "system-ca-certs=true" but make it "system-ca-certs=false"

You can edit it with

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/{SSID}
You need to replace {SSID} with the problem one

Return to “Networking”