I've Killed The Wireless With Plex! (sorted)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ChrisAJ
Level 4
Level 4

I've Killed The Wireless With Plex! (sorted)

Post by ChrisAJ »

I know it sounds stupid. I installed plex on the KDE 13 laptop and updated all the libraries. So I thought it would be a good idead to get it to start automatically on boot, went to startup and put the web address in the script box. Re-booted and firefox opened but no wireless. Went back to the startup programmes in system tools and that script doesn't appear any more. How do I reverse this catastrophe?

Help!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pettijohne

Re: I've Killed The Wireless With Plex!

Post by pettijohne »

I don't use KDE so I'm not sure what the script is you speak of. If its trying to load it while your system is booting that probably won't work since you don't have a wireless connection yet. Not sure which file it is but play around in /etc/rc(0-6).d these may contain answers for you and if not we shall look elsewhere.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

ChrisAJ,

I run mate so it might be different, but check in ~/.config/autostart for your startup

System wide startups are located in /etc/xdg/autostart

Good luck :wink:
ChrisAJ
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ChrisAJ »

Well I've got the wireless back. Of all the weird things the router had for some crazy reason reset itself back to factory settings. A network manager friend reckoned it could be my isp trying to update the security measures and the router went looney tunes in response.

However I have had no luck getting rid of that startup script (tried the suggestions). I suppose I should have pointed it to firefox instead of the plex page then made plex the home page which would obviously make it easier to remove. Poo.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

ChrisAJ wrote:Well I've got the wireless back. Of all the weird things the router had for some crazy reason reset itself back to factory settings. A network manager friend reckoned it could be my isp trying to update the security measures and the router went looney tunes in response.

However I have had no luck getting rid of that startup script (tried the suggestions). I suppose I should have pointed it to firefox instead of the plex page then made plex the home page which would obviously make it easier to remove. Poo.
Are you referring to plexmediaserver :?: If so it will start as an upstart job at boot

Code: Select all

mint init.d # ls -lh /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver 
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Jun  3  2013 /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver -> /lib/init/upstart-job*
ChrisAJ
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ChrisAJ »

Yes I am. Does it automatically boot then?
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

ChrisAJ wrote:Yes I am. Does it automatically boot then?
Yes, you can check it with

Code: Select all

pgrep -l Plex
In the browser

http://127.0.0.1:32400/manage/index.html#!/dashboard
ChrisAJ
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ChrisAJ »

Many thanks

Return to “Networking”