Printing held for authentication

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Printing held for authentication

Post by coffee412 »

Background:

Linux mint 14 on a desktop. Connected to a wireless router via a ethernet cable. Sharing an HP 1050 series deskjet.
Linux mint 16 on laptop. Connected via wireless router.

I have an issue where when printing from the laptop all print jobs are being held for authentication. Have tried right clicking and choosing authenticate and it does release the printjob. However, I would like to have it not go thru authentication and just print the printjobs to the printer.

I have tried some suggestions like editing the /etc/cups/printers.conf file but that does nothing to change the situation. This is quite frustrating.

While setting up the printer on the laptop it is automatically discovered and setup just fine. One thing I noticed in the printer path is that it starts out with 'dnssd'. Not sure if that is an issue and I should just set it up as ipp. Should have to as the printer is automagically discovered and setup.

Help?

coffee
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Printing held for authentication

Post by coffee412 »

I still dont really have an answer to this issue - HP printer setup on linux mint 14 box via usb cable. Laptop that connects to network via wireless cannot print to printer. The printjob is always put on hold with message "Waiting for authentication".

Log for cups shows this error:

E [17/Mar/2014:11:28:44 -0400] [Job 9] Tree connect failed (NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED)

googling it shows its smb related somehow perhaps. But Iam not printing to a windows printer and have not set it up that way either (via a mistake in printer setup).

Help?

coffee412
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

SOLVED:Re: Printing held for authentication

Post by coffee412 »

Problem solved.

What I ended up doing is removing the printer from both computers, Re-installing the printer on the host computer thru cups (localhost:631) and then making sure broadcast was on (dont remember where but the setting is in there) and also of course check to make sure share was on.

The laptop behaviour was quite a bit different than before. This time when I opened up the printers config tool in the admin menu it was already there! So, I set it as the default printer and it printed no problem. Seems that there was a config problem when the printer was originally installed.

Other things I did along the way:

1. Created a user account with same login/password as the laptop user.
2. In software center there were some cups packages / HPLIP packages that were not installed that pertained to the main package that was installed by default. I installed them just for kicks.

I still get an error notice on printjobs - the red dot when looking at the print job but not a biggy in my opinion as it prints fine.

coffee412

Return to “Networking”