Connecting to a WPA-AES network?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
momijizukamori

Connecting to a WPA-AES network?

Post by momijizukamori »

Running Petra with a Intel wlan card. I'm trying to connect to the secured network at my school, and having trouble translating the Win7 set-up guide to Linux terms. The security settings for Win7 are listed as:
Security Type: WPA2-Enterprise
Encryption Type: AES
Network Authentication Method: Protected EAP (PEAP)

The advanced 802.1x tab uses 'Specify Authentication Mode' set to 'User Authentication', and then the password method is MSCHAPv2.

The settings I've done under the network manager are:
Security: WPA & WPA2 Enterprise
Authentication: Protected EAP (PEAP)
Inner Authenication: MSCHAPv2

But trying to connect just prompts me repeatedly for username and password before failing and connecting to the unsecured-with-portal-redirect network.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Connecting to a WPA-AES network?

Post by karlchen »

Hello, momijizukamori.

I would not be amazed if the authenticating machine expected to recieve a certificate from your machine which it will not be able to provide. I have seen this happen somewhere - won't tell where - when booted to Window 7 connecting to the protected WLAN worked. When booted to Linux Mint connecting to the same WLAN failed, because the required certificate was missing from my Mint system.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Networking”