Toshiba Satellite A135-S2356 wifi problem with mint 16 mate

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
computerguybry

Toshiba Satellite A135-S2356 wifi problem with mint 16 mate

Post by computerguybry »

I can't get wifi to show up.

Code: Select all

della@della-Satellite-A135 ~ $ inxi -N
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ driver: 8139too 
I'm not sure what to do from here.

Any help appreciated....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: Toshiba Satellite A135-S2356 wifi problem with mint 16 m

Post by The-Wizard »

which version of mint are you running the drivers are in the repository for ubuntu [dont know about debian]
computerguybry

Post by computerguybry »

Linux Mint 16 with Mate desktop
thanks
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

just for fun try.. connect to the internet with the ethernet, boot, and try the additional drivers application. [menu..all applications...driver manager].. im gambling that you have an atharos 34** series wireless not railtek
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

One method is to download this driver and install it using the "Windows Wireless Driver" (ndiswrapper driver install tool). I'm not sure if LM 16 Mate has it installed by default as I am running LMDE. If you need this it's called "ndisgtk " in Package Manager. This is just the GUI front end, you already have ndiswrapper.

Realtek's web site for drivers can be a pain but it's here... http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... wnTypeID=3

The one for Win XP 32/64 should work, click the US1, US2 or US3 site. If Realtek's download doesn't cooperate use this link instead... http://drivers.softpedia.com/progDownlo ... 17566.html

Once you have it right click on the thing, open with Archive Manager and extract it. Next start the "Windows Wireless Driver", find and install the INF file.

I've had better luck with this than using the Linux install packages due to my inexperience.
computerguybry

Post by computerguybry »

gtsfer wrote:............................ Next start the "Windows Wireless Driver", find and install the INF file.
I downloaded PCI_Install_XP_2K_5719_04062012.zip and extracted.

How do I start windows wireless driver?

thanks
computerguybry

Post by computerguybry »

The-Wizard wrote:just for fun try.. connect to the internet with the ethernet, boot, and try the additional drivers application. [menu..all applications...driver manager].. im gambling that you have an atharos 34** series wireless not railtek
Driver manager (as superuser) says "No proprietary drivers are in use."
computerguybry

Post by computerguybry »

gtsfer wrote:One method is to download this driver and install it using the "Windows Wireless Driver" (ndiswrapper driver install tool). I'm not sure if LM 16 Mate has it installed by default as I am running LMDE. If you need this it's called "ndisgtk " in Package Manager. This is just the GUI front end, you already have ndiswrapper.

Realtek's web site for drivers can be a pain but it's here... http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... wnTypeID=3

The one for Win XP 32/64 should work, click the US1, US2 or US3 site. If Realtek's download doesn't cooperate use this link instead... http://drivers.softpedia.com/progDownlo ... 17566.html

Once you have it right click on the thing, open with Archive Manager and extract it. Next start the "Windows Wireless Driver", find and install the INF file.

I've had better luck with this than using the Linux install packages due to my inexperience.
I installed ndisgtk but not sure how to run inf file.
computerguybry

Post by computerguybry »

wifi popped back in so I ran

Code: Select all

della@della-Satellite-A135 ~ $ inxi -N
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath5k 
           Card-2: Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ driver: 8139too 
della@della-Satellite-A135 ~ $ 
which answers that question.

I failed to mention that when I first installed linux I set up wifi without a problem. Then it went away. Now it is back. I think I have a hardware problem. Any ideas to check this??

thanks
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

computerguybry wrote:I installed ndisgtk but not sure how to run inf file.
Start Windows Wireless Drivers. Then "Install New Driver". When "Location" comes up browse to the folder where you extracted that thing. The INF file will be somewhere in a sub-folder (and ANOTHER sub-folder) under that.

There's probably multiple levels of these until you get to it. I would use the one for WIN XP or WIN 7 I guess. It' depends on the file you downloaded what's in there exactly. Select the INF file and it will do the rest if it's the right one for that hardware.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

It looks like you have 2 cards there. One is the Atheros PCI (a card) and the other is the Realtek on USB.

This shouldn't be a problem though. But the driver disappearing and coming back is weird. Maybe they are conflicting with each other since both are wireless adapters.

Do this just to see everything in your system...
$ sudo lspci
$ sudo lsusb

If you have 2 wireless adapters in there (and one is a PCI card) try unplugging the Realtek USB. Then reboot. See if the Atheros comes up ok now. If that works and it's stable (and doesn't disappear again) forget the Realtek USB. You don't need it. :D :!:

Return to “Networking”