Suggestions for a nano USB wifi adapter?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PatMcTookis

Suggestions for a nano USB wifi adapter?

Post by PatMcTookis »

I switched to linux Mint last week hoping that it would avail me of all the troubles I've been having trying to get my wireless to work consistently in Ubuntu. It did not. I've been having the same problems with the wireless driver. I won't go into detail. I'll just cut to the chase and let you know I've given up trying to make that goddamn intel wireless driver fly right.

So I'm thinking of buying a USB wifi adapter to makeup for my on-board's shortcomings. I've searched the hardware database and found three USB devices that are documented as "working perfectly." They are: TRENDnet TEW-649UB, TP-LINK TL-WN722N, and some terrible hawking thing I would never buy.

Now, given that this is a laptop, I would like as small a prescence as possible - a Nano USB adapter like this.

So before buying I thought I'd ask you fine folks if you know of any Nano USB wifi cards that work without major problems with Mint Petra 16?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PatMcTookis

Re: Suggestions for a nano USB wifi adapter?

Post by PatMcTookis »

I've decided to go with the Panda Ultra Wireless N Which advertises support of Mint specifically. But it's not on Mint's hardware database. I will update when I recieve the adapter, just in case anyone with the same problem is reading this thread.
NM5TF

Post by NM5TF »

PatMcTookis wrote:I switched to linux Mint last week hoping that it would avail me of all the troubles I've been having trying to get my wireless to work consistently in Ubuntu. It did not. I've been having the same problems with the wireless driver. I won't go into detail. I'll just cut to the chase and let you know I've given up trying to make that goddamn intel wireless driver fly right.

So I'm thinking of buying a USB wifi adapter to makeup for my on-board's shortcomings. I've searched the hardware database and found three USB devices that are documented as "working perfectly." They are: TRENDnet TEW-649UB, TP-LINK TL-WN722N, and some terrible hawking thing I would never buy.

Now, given that this is a laptop, I would like as small a prescence as possible - a Nano USB adapter like this.

So before buying I thought I'd ask you fine folks if you know of any Nano USB wifi cards that work without major problems with Mint Petra 16?
I am using that very nano adapter as I type....works flawlessly after a few tweaks

tommy
NM5TF

Post by NM5TF »

the tweak I referenced above is here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... 4cd19391b6

tommy
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

I've also had great luck with a Belkin F7D2102 N300 Micro Wireless N USB Adapter. No tweaks, it works out of the box with Mint or LMDE. Very small too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004N6 ... B00BSEV682

Return to “Networking”