Linux Mint 15 wifi not detected (Broadcom 802.11)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BinaryRaven

Linux Mint 15 wifi not detected (Broadcom 802.11)

Post by BinaryRaven »

Hi. I've been trying to solve this problem for quite a while. I'm not preciselly an expert on linux so i need your help /:

I installed Linux Mint 15 cinnamon 32-bit, i have a BenQ Joybook lite U102 and my network adapter is broadcom 802.11g.

I read something about "ndiswrapper" but idk man its confusing lol i'd apreciate a lot if you can explain it to me or at least give me a link with a good explanation.

Im gonna try installing this drivers http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php and i'll tell you but this shouldn't be necesary right? and i think i read it doesn't work anyways but well, if you can help me with anything that'd be great.

Thanks... sorry if im a noob...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: Linux Mint 15 wifi not detected (Broadcom 802.11)

Post by The-Wizard »

which broadcom wireless do you have, drivers for most versions are available in the repository, except very old or some very new 11N drivers,

connect to internet with ethernet or a working dongle, click menu, select all programs, scroll down to driver manager, open driver manager and wait, it should say something like " broadcom 45XX drivers" check use these drivers then install.
BinaryRaven

Post by BinaryRaven »

The-Wizard wrote:which broadcom wireless do you have, drivers for most versions are available in the repository, except very old or some very new 11N drivers,

connect to internet with ethernet or a working dongle, click menu, select all programs, scroll down to driver manager, open driver manager and wait, it should say something like " broadcom 45XX drivers" check use these drivers then install.
I tried that but it doesn't work. I do it but it waits a bit and then it goes back as it was.
http://i.imgur.com/XjKpapw.png

I'm also trying to install the drivers i linked on the first post but i dont know how /: can u help me? or if you can tell me how to use ndiswrapper pls...
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

having never had a problem with broadcom drivers [this lappy i am using now has broadcom43XX] or any others except my new 11N which i still have problems with, yet i have installed the latest Kernel,

I am no expert but a regular user [around 5 years now] the only piece of equipment that isn't new that i have spent hours trying to get working is a tv usb adaptor,

wizard
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please first tell which Broadcom model you have, instead of blindly using ndiswrapper. For most Broadcom chips there is a native Linux driver available, there are only a few for which ndiswrapper is your only option.

You can open Terminal from the menu and run this command to see your Broadcom model:

Code: Select all

inxi -N
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
BinaryRaven

Post by BinaryRaven »

Thanks for your help guys. All i did was download the drivers from here:
http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php
And follow the instructions on the readme file. Lol, im a genius huh? :lol:

Problem solved (:

Return to “Networking”