[SOLVED] Strange problem Brodcom driver

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dancingdog777

[SOLVED] Strange problem Brodcom driver

Post by dancingdog777 »

I have a strange problem on a Dell 1545 laptop with a recent installation of Mint 13 Mate x64. I have installed the Broadcom driver for the built in wieless but when I click on the icon to find my own wifi modem it isn't listed.

It can see the wifi modems in my neighbours homes but not mine. When I plug in a a Cisco USB wifi dongle, that finds my wifi instantly and displays my neighbours stations too.

Has anyone else had this problem please and if so did you manage to find a solution.

I had had Mint 10 installed previously which worked faultlessly so maybe the missing correct driver was in the Medibuntu repo?

Also is there an archive of the old drivers that were available in Medibuntu?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kurotsugi

Re: Strange problem Brodcom driver

Post by kurotsugi »

broadcomm have several drivers. you can try switch it with another one. you can use 'inxi -N' to find out which driver is used by your system.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Some Broadcom wifi adapters are known to have problems with wpa2 security. In windows too. Try setting your router to wpa.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
dancingdog777

Post by dancingdog777 »

I tried using the Windows driver that is on the driver disc that came with the computer, under Windows Wireless Drivers in Control Panel. It asks for an .ini file but when I point it to the only .ini file it just 'fails to find driver'.

This is so weird because it can 'see' the wifi modem in my next door neighbours houses but not mine. Yet when I plug the Cisko USB dongle in, that finds mine instantly.

Yet the Broadcom card works perfectly with Windows 7 which is on my dual boot!
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

dancingdog777 wrote:I tried using the Windows driver that is on the driver disc that came with the computer, under Windows Wireless Drivers in Control Panel. It asks for an .ini file but when I point it to the only .ini file it just 'fails to find driver'.

This is so weird because it can 'see' the wifi modem in my next door neighbours houses but not mine. Yet when I plug the Cisko USB dongle in, that finds mine instantly.

Yet the Broadcom card works perfectly with Windows 7 which is on my dual boot!
Ndiswrapper works with XP´s drivers.
http://puolanka.info/distrowatch/ndiswr ... ver-setup/
http://driverpacks.net/driverpacks
dancingdog777

Re: Strange problem Brodcom driver [SOLVED]

Post by dancingdog777 »

It turns out that the 64bit driver for the Broadcom wifi was the culprit.

I installed Mint13 Mate x32bit and the built in wireless works really well.

All that hassle! :o

Return to “Networking”