Wireless Issues - Lenovo V570

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trooper22

Wireless Issues - Lenovo V570

Post by trooper22 »

Hello,

I have been searching vigorously for any possible solution to this issue. I own a Lenovo V570 and recently decided to start experimenting and using Linux again. I did a lot of research on different distros with this particular laptop before installing and realized that I may have to overcome some hurdles but in doing so I figured I would learn a thing or two so I decided to take the risk of a few headaches and install. It's been a few years since I've been a Linux user so I'm a little rusty on commands/file system structure/etc.

My issue is that whenever I try and connect to my wireless internet network manager tells me it is connecting for about 20-30 seconds then just stops and disconnects. I've had the same issue with other distros and seem to not be able to get the wireless to work. (Intel Centrino Wireless-N 6150) I've looked through a lot of solutions for this issue and have found that people have found it to be many different causes. When I did the rfkill command to see if anything was blocking it there are no soft or hard blocks on the Wifi. There is only a soft block on the WiMAX (which is a feature I don't use). I can see wireless networks and attempt to connect to them however it doesn't seem to want to connect. It is supposed to prompt me for a password too (my network is WPA2-PSK) but does not. HOWEVER, this may be because during the installation process I attempted to connect and it prompted me for the network password. So it may have saved the password. I've seen many issues like mine with this particular network card and/or laptop with many distros of Linux and I've tried many solutions however no luck, and all of the similar problems seemed to have stemmed from other issues.

Please let me know if anyone can help. I'd hate to have myself believe that it's impossible to install Linux on this laptop.

Also I currently have it as a dual boot with Windows and wireless under Windows works just fine.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mdman

Re: Wireless Issues - Lenovo V570

Post by mdman »

I have the similar problem. I have a Lenovo z570.

With this hardware

Code: Select all

# inxi -F
System:    Host: speccy-laptop Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Machine:   System: LENOVO product: 10246JG version: Ideapad Z570 serial: WB03469370WB0110040F 
           Mobo: LENOVO model: Emerald Lake version: FAB1 serial: WB03469370 Bios: LENOVO version: 45CN36WW date: 07/11/2011
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-2330M CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz 3: 800.00 MHz 4: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller 
           Card-2: NVIDIA GF119 [GeForce GT 520M] 
           X.org: 1.13.0 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau,intel tty size: 137x26 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
Audio:     Card: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.25
Network:   Card-1: Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k 
           IF: wlan0 state: down mac: 74:de:2b:5b:d9:c1
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller driver: r8169 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: f0:de:f1:94:bd:53
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 750.2GB (18.8% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD7500BPVT size: 750.2GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 680G used: 132G (21%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 8.50GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 61.0C mobo: 47.0C gpu: 60.0 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 174 Uptime: 1:08 Memory: 854.3/3868.7MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
And the output of "rfkill" is:

Code: Select all

# rfkill list
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: yes
1: ideapad_wlan: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: yes
	Hard blocked: no
2: ideapad_bluetooth: Bluetooth
3: hci0: Bluetooth
But the Wireless Lan is not switch off.

On internet, I have read that the problem is fixed with "reset bios to default factory values" or "remove the bios battery". But only once time it worked, and the next day turn on the laptop was still the problem

Any idea?

Thanks.

Do
JithinAchuthan

Post by JithinAchuthan »

Hi,
I was suffering with the same issue. My machine is Lenovo G580. I have dual boot it with (Windows 7 & Mint 15).
I had issues with Wireless and Bluetooth, It was working fine in Windows. But whatever i do wifi and Bluetooth would never turn on (Wifi and Bluetooth options was grayed out). With windows everything was working fine (Aditional Windows Drivers was provided with Laptop).

Issue with my laptop was fixed only after enabling (Turning on) Wifi and Bluetooth from Windows.
After enabling it in windows it works fine if you disable it in windows again this problem arises.
I am not a Teche guy and i am new to Linux, But i think you need windows just to unlock the hard blocked feature.

hope this was helpfull.
mdman

Post by mdman »

I care about getting this fixed, so I'm offering USD 50,00 via FreedomSponsors to the first person who fix it.

Offer link: http://www.freedomsponsors.org/core/iss ... hard-block

You can also join me and throw in a few bucks there and we'll get it fixed faster :)

If you fix this issue (see my acceptance criteria there) please use that site to request your payment.
rzr

Post by rzr »

Hi I fixed similar issue for G40-30 maybe I could help to fix yours if it's not done already

you can contact me online

later

Return to “Networking”