atheros ar9285 wireless problem on Mint 15

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ramsesx

atheros ar9285 wireless problem on Mint 15

Post by ramsesx »

i have installed Mint 15. I have wireless internet connection problem. I have atheros ar9285 and it works on windows 7. It doesn't work on Linux. How can i fix this problem? Please help me urgently...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: atheros ar9285 wireless problem on Mint 13

Post by karlchen »

Hello, ramsesx.

Perform a forum search for the combined search string "Atheros ar9285". This search should return a lot of (recent) threads where problems related to Atheros ar9285 wireless cards were reported and solved (in some cases at least).
Provided that none of the threads helps, please, provide the full screen output of the following commands:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fx
sudo lshw -C network
iwconfig
Kind regards,
Karl
--
P.S.:
On my Mint 13 system, the Atheros ar9285 wireless card worked correctly out of the box and still works fine.
And here is a very small, random selection of the threads which can be found about "Atheros ar9285":
+ [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=131270&hilit=Atheros+ar9285]Atheros AR9285 - Mint 14 KDE 64[/url]
+ [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=123551&hilit=Atheros+ar9285][SOLVED] AR9285 Hard-blocked Mint14 Cinnamon 64bit[/url]
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
bigj231

Re: atheros ar9285 wireless problem on Mint 13

Post by bigj231 »

I just wanted to add that I have 3 of that exact same card. 1 only works on Windows for some reason. Try what Karl suggested, and if you still can't fix it, they are under $10 US shipped on ebay. Like this one: [url]http://compare.ebay.com/like/300708491574?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar[/url]
ramsesx

Re: atheros ar9285 wireless problem on Mint

Post by ramsesx »

*-network DISABLED      
       description: Wireless interface
       product: AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
       vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
       logical name: wlan0
       version: 01
       serial: 1c:4b:d6:d2:4f:16
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k driverversion=3.8.0-19-generic firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
       resources: irq:17 memory:f1d00000-f1d0ffff
I tried lots of method but they dont work.
NOT: i upgraded the version to mint olivia.
Last edited by ramsesx on Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: atheros ar9285 wireless problem on Mint 15

Post by AlbertP »

Please run this in terminal and post the output:

rfkill list
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
ramsesx

Post by ramsesx »

AlbertP wrote:Please run this in terminal and post the output:

rfkill list

0: hci0: Bluetooth
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Hard blocked: yes
ramsesx

Post by ramsesx »

Thanks for your attention. I solved the problem and i think everybody should learn this little trick. when i clicked (Fn + F2), wifi has turned on. It sounds crazy but real :)
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

ramsesx wrote:when i clicked (Fn + F2), wifi has turned on.
:lol: Common keyboard shortcut on a lot of notebooks to switch wifi on and off. :lol:
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If you still have problems with the AR9285 such as bad signal, slow transfer speed or a dropping connection, you can try this:

gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf
(replace gedit by pluma on MATE)

In that text file please put:

options ath9k nohwcrypt
Then save, exit and reboot; and after that you should not have problems related to bad signal anymore.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
DAXQ

Post by DAXQ »

Wow talk about a nightmare - I have not experienced this kinda thing sing the beginning days of Linux! I have a Lenovo S10-3 - it came with an ATH-AR5B95 WiFi card. When I got the unit, the owner said wifi was shot, just wouldn't work no matter what (pressing Function + F5 [soft block] or using the left side key On/Off [hard block]). And they were running the original Windows 7 starter that came with the box. My first attempt to get things operations was a complete system restore - half way through that - the computer crashed leaving me with basically a brick. There was no way to get back into Windows, nor anyway to finish the rebuild as something in the process had corrupted everything and it was outta warranty. So being a huge fan of Ubuntu since its inception, I wanted to give this Linux Mint thing a try, so I went for the LM15 Mate since its a netbook. Love it, however - could not believe I was experiencing sound issues (like back in the day) and the WiFi also would still not come on. Save the sound for another forum, when I looked at wifi I would only get:

rfkill list
0: ideapad_wlan: Wireless LAN
Hard blocked: no
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
Hard blocked: yes

Over and over again no matter what I did.

Man did I ever hate seeing that Hard blocked: yes, I have tried everything I could find - bought a new WiFi card from Amazon Atheros AR9285 for 10$, install backports, change kernels, rfkill unblock all, remove the mod, change from ath9k to ath5k all the same kind of goodies I used to experience with Slackware 100 years ago - kind of a bummer and NONE of them worked for me. But as it turns out, not a linux issue at all, some kind of goofy thing going on with the Motherboard, and Lenovo I guess - the only fix I found to work (and it worked right outta the gate) was to:

1) Take the little sucker apart - far be it from Lenovo/IBM to make replaceable parts easy to access!
2) remove/disconnect the CMOS battery, you don't flip out the coin like the old days, just disconnect the cable for a minute or so
Hint while you got this little sucker apart - take a few seconds and super glue that side WiFi key to the ON position - if it ever gets turned off again, you will have to do this all over again!
3) upon the next boot, press F2 to enter the BIOS, reset the BIOS to defaults and I also set the clock (if your clock is correct, then you did NOT remove the battery and it is not going to work for you - pulling the CMOS battery should also drop the date time in your BIOS).
4) let it boot and you should see the Wifi access points available (I did anyway) first time since I got the thing 4 weeks ago!

Very nice, these are great little bang around boxes for the kids - hope this helps some one wading through the same pile o stuff I did for 4 weeks.
ruthan

Post by ruthan »

I have Samsung N145P(AR9285) netbook, on windows 7 and in Android x86 is Wifi was quite ok. I have strange cant connect issue during browsing and apt-get operations - simply network doesnt working, until reconnect - network manager - showed everything ok - connected, stragely ping was still good.

Solution was completely disable ipv6 and set to ignore ipv6 in network manager..

Mint 17.1 64bit.

Return to “Networking”