Wifi _ weak signal, slow speed Mint15 and Ubuntu 13.01

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
csocsoi

Wifi _ weak signal, slow speed Mint15 and Ubuntu 13.01

Post by csocsoi »

Hi

I'm using Linux Mint 14 without any problem.

(asus X55VD)

'configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rt2800pci driverversion = 3.8.0-19'

* current GOOD working Mint 14 Nadja: configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rt2800pci driverversion = 3.5.0-17' *

I've installed first Ubuntu 13.01 after Mint Olivia 15. I have the same problem with both system. I have only stable wifi near my wifi router.
So it could be problem with the kernel, because the problem is totally the same on both system.
I did not find any solution what helps.

I'm sure that the problem is kernel related.
(the second same problem is the "scratchy" sound of skype sounds, the same situation at Ubuntu 13.01 and Mint 15.)

thank you for your help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
csocsoi

Re: Wifi _ weak signal, slow speed Mint15 and Ubuntu 13.01

Post by csocsoi »

Can somebody help me how is it possible to downgrade the wificard driver?

thank you
trapperjohn

Post by trapperjohn »

When you boot the live cd, how does the wifi signal compare to the signal you see in the native install? Is it better?
csocsoi

Post by csocsoi »

trapperjohn wrote:When you boot the live cd, how does the wifi signal compare to the signal you see in the native install? Is it better?
Hi, good question, but I did not try it, but I will, and inform you!
Thank you!
csocsoi

Post by csocsoi »

Hi,

Im from Live version now and it seems that the problem is the same.
The strength of wifi signal is weaker about 10% from the same place from the same distance from the router as under Mint 14 Nadja. And also have speed problems.
Bye
trapperjohn

Post by trapperjohn »

lshw -c network

What is the "product name"
csocsoi

Post by csocsoi »

product: RT5390 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe
vendor: Ralink corp
trapperjohn

Post by trapperjohn »

There may be a better driver for your product (RT539x).
http://www.mediatek.com/_en/07_downloads/01_windows.php?sn=501

Here is a (dated) related post on installing
[url]http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=79227&start=0[/url]

There are a number of others, all of which look a bit treacherous, From what I see, the process involves compiling the driver and installing, but with the added need for patching and possibly for editing the makefile.

There are a few worrisome posts about kernel panic occuring after this approach.

I have to admit, I like your idea of downgrading the 2800 a lot better. That option does not seem to be out there.

We need another opinion on this question. There is a poster on the Ubuntu forums, user name chili555 [url]http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=35909&s=307e275238c0285158c5486730c1ff77[/url], who seems to be a real guru on these wireless configs. He bailed me our of a similar problem several months ago.
csocsoi

Post by csocsoi »

Hi Trapperjohn,

First of all thank you for your kindness and help.

I'll look after your advise, but I'm not sure to be able to do those. It is not so important to me to change to Olivia.

What do you think in the future (The Mint 16) will the developers solve this issue? Did anybody inform the developer team about these issues?

thank you!
tzuri

Post by tzuri »

Hi all,

I am having the exact same problem with Mint Olivia 15 (skype sounds as well!).
I have a very strong Atheros-based TP-LINK wireless card on my PC and my wireless is unbelievably slow, constantly "switching itself" on and off too.
I have tried some solution I found with adding a file called ath9k.conf with content 'options ath9k nohwcrypt=1', and a couple of other solutions that seemed less likely to work and I am therefore omitting, all to no avail.

I specifically purchased an Atheros-based wireless card because I have heard good things about the ath5k and ath9k drivers, so it is a little frustrating encountering this problem nonetheless. I actually tried different wireless cards before this one (Ralink-based D-Link and an Edimax, can't remember the chipset), all with the same problem, so I am guessing it's a problem with Mint Olivia, not with the drivers.

I am kind of a newbie so if I there is a better place to post this or a better way to refer to this, please inform me. Thank you. I am also posting output of 'lshw -c network':

Code: Select all

*-network
       description: Wireless interface
       product: AR922X Wireless Network Adapter
       vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
       physical id: 1
       bus info: pci@0000:05:01.0
       logical name: wlan3
       version: 01
       serial: 64:70:02:72:5a:bf
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 66MHz
       capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k driverversion=3.8.0-25-generic firmware=N/A ip=10.0.0.4 latency=168 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
       resources: irq:16 memory:f7100000-f710ffff
truscellino

Post by truscellino »

Hi all,

I am currently experiencing the same issues with Mint 15 freshly installed on mac mini Intel with Network Adapter:
Atheros AR242x / AR542x. Driver is ath5k and is loaded.

I have also tried the "options ath5k nohwcrypt" with no joy.

iwconfig command shows:

Code: Select all

Tx excessive retries:67  Invalid misc:7  Missed beacon:0
Any help welcome... thanks

Return to “Networking”