Is there a way to connect through a Nokia phone? [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frytek

Is there a way to connect through a Nokia phone? [SOLVED]

Post by frytek »

Update: there is a way. :) Just go to my reply to this post.

key words: mint bluetooth dialup dun gsm mobile phone

In the previous system version (Maya) when I run a bluetooth wizard to connect to a phone, the last question was about Dial Up networking. All I had to do was to check this option and to define a T-mobile provider in broadband / mobile connections in the Network Manager. After pairing the phone, a T-mobile would show up in the Network Manager, among the wifi connections. And it just worked.

In Nadia the wizard doesn't ask for DUN. So even if I pair the device, the defined T-mobile network does not show up in the Network Manager.

I remember that in the past, when people had some problems with bluetooth (in older versions of ubuntu, like 10.x) there was an alternative: to connect the phone with a USB cable in PC Suite mode - and the defined T-mobile option would show up and work. Now this doesn't work either.

I tried to reverse to even older solutions, that is manual setup of ppp dial up, but it is also difficult. There is no authentication / protocol / settings data good for my network. They vary between the countries (even with the same operator), so it's almost impossible to guess. In my case the message is "chat script has failed".

I tried blueman (used also before Network Manager was blue-compatibile) and the result is the same. That is, blueman connects to the phone with dial up, but this is just half way, because the network part still does not show up.

I am frustrated.
Update: I am more than happy. :)

Does anybody know any working solution?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
frytek

Re: Is there a way to connect through a Nokia phone?

Post by frytek »

I found a solution which works.

On this page:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=147880
it says why Network Manager doesn't want to work with Blueman. We have to compile Network Manager with bluetooth modem support.

Here's how to do it (Thanks to my friend Ethanak):

we need to add a sources repo:
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
add line: deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal main restricted

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install blueman build-essential dpkg-dev

sudo apt-get build-dep network-manager

mkdir -p ~/tmp
cd ~/tmp

with no sudo:
apt-get source network-manager
cd network-manager-versionnumber

(replace versionnumber with actual name of the folder)

now we edit the file network-manager-verionnumber

gedit src/nm-manager.c

as described in the page linked above. namely, we remove ! before strcmp in this location:

if (driver && strcmp (driver, "bluetooth")) {
nm_log_info (LOGD_MB, "ignoring modem '%s' (no associated Bluetooth device)", ip_iface);
return;
}

and we save the file

now:
dpkg-source --commit

it will ask for a name for the patch, we provide any, editor will be open - we save the file (if this is vi, type :wq)

dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc

a good idea now is to stop the current network manager:

sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager stop

cd ..

sudo dpkg -i network-manager-versionnumber.deb

and start new network manager:
/etc/init.d/network-manager start

now,
we stop the mate / gnome bluetooth applet:
killall mate-bluetooth-applet
(and remove it from startup programs in menu)

and start blueman:
blueman
(and add it to the startup programs if it's not there)

right click on blueman icon -> devices
search
add device -> pair, type PIN code and the same on the phone

now, our new network manager:
right click -> edit connections
broadband -> than the wizard for your country and operator plan.
new connection shows up in the network list (left click) where we used to have only LAN and wireless before. in the newly compiled network manager you can see e.g. T-mobile now.

Update: now right click on the device in blueman -> serial ports -> dial up, confirm on the phone.
then click on local services in blueman and in PAN and DUN support click on Network Manager. (This dialog is a little bit tricky because the Apply button is inactive as long as you disable, apply, and reenable the NAP option on the top.

Now click on Devices -> your phone -> select Serial ports -> DUN. confirm connection on your phone and observe the connection icon.
in my case the Network Manager connected automagically with the defined broadband connection. if yours doesn't - click it on the menu.

That's all. :)
jesan507826

Re: Is there a way to connect through a Nokia phone? [SOLVED

Post by jesan507826 »

Hey frytek ,
Thanks For your info about internet connection post.

Return to “Networking”