Question about mobile internet (and Tmobile Jet 2.0)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mozenrath

Question about mobile internet (and Tmobile Jet 2.0)

Post by Mozenrath »

I'm kind of asking 2 questions at the same time.

I own an EeePc 1005HA and have LM13 on it. I take it everywhere with me, but sometimes I'd like the ability to access stuff like email and Google Maps when I'm not near a hotspot. What I'd like is a pay-as-you-go device that is compatible with Linux, and I'll only be using it on occasion so I don't want monthly charges.

Someone here might say that I should just tether my computer with my phone, but there are a few reasons why I wouldn't want to do this: My current phone is an older Nokia with Symbian. There's no point in paying for a whole new phone because I'm happy with my current phone, and I don't want to pay a fee just to tether.

So I came across this:
http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Phones/cel ... ck-Prepaid

It's pretty much what I want and it seems like a good deal compared to the rip-offs I found at Best Buy. The potential problem is that it says it's only compatible with Windows and Mac, but I did come across one mention on the internet that the Jet 2.0 works with Linux(but not the Rocket). The person who mentioned this didn't really go into detail, unfortunately.

Long story short: Does the T-Mobile Jet 2.0 work in Linux; if it doesn't, is there a comparable device/plan that does work with Linux?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mozenrath

Re: Question about mobile internet (and Tmobile Jet 2.0)

Post by Mozenrath »

By the way, the Tmobile Jet 2.0 seems to be a rebranded Huawei E366. This is a good sign I think, since a lot of Huawei stuff seems to have Linux kernel support. But I don't see much info on the E366.
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

you can check in :

Code: Select all

gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/40-usb_modeswitch.rules 
(if you are using MATE DE, change gedit with pluma)

i not see T-mobile jet2 or huawei E366 in there.

If you are interested , this is website about modeswitch : http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/
jb68

Post by jb68 »

Hi,
I know this is old but ...

sudo pluma /lib/udev/rules.d/40-usb_modeswitch.rules
Navigate to huawei then add ..

# Huawei E366 (T-mobile Wind)
ATTRS{idVendor}=="12d1", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1446", RUN+="usb_modeswitch '%b/%k'"
This fixed it for me.

Return to “Networking”