wicd initializing the network

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tbrownarcher2

wicd initializing the network

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

I'm using linux mint 13 cinnamon as my operating system. I'm also using WICD as my network manager.

When I start the computer up WICD initializes and starts the network up however it takes a long time. If I click on the wicd icon in the task bar it shows a "network manager" window . in that window are several networks besides mine and mine is set to auto connect. If I click on the connect button it causes wicd to activate my network much much faster , a matter of 15 or 20 seconds while if i wait it may be as much as 3 to five minutes ......
Is there a setting under the auto connect somewhere or even somewhere that will accomplish the auto connect to my network faster ?????

thanks,
very much
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
snison

Re: wicd initializing the network

Post by snison »

Why are you running both wicd and network manager? That's like running two TVs, on the same wall, at the same time, on the same channel, Batman. Use one or the other.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: wicd initializing the network

Post by xenopeek »

Yup, sounds like you are using both. Choose wisely, and use only one.

The instructions I had noted down from installing Wicd on Linux Mint 13 Xfce, and removing Network Manager, were as follows:

Code: Select all

# Install Wicd
sudo apt-get install wicd python-wicd wicd-daemon wicd-gtk

# Start wicd-gtk
(wicd-gtk --tray </dev/null &>/dev/null &)

# Remove NetworkManager
sudo apt-get purge dnsmasq-base geoclue-ubuntu-geoip gir1.2-networkmanager-1.0 libnm-glib-vpn1 libnm-glib4 libnm-gtk-common libnm-gtk0 libnm-util2 libproxy1-plugin-networkmanager mobile-broadband-provider-info network-manager network-manager-gnome network-manager-pptp network-manager-pptp-gnome

# Kill dhclient
sudo killall dhclient

# Kill nm-applet
sudo killall nm-applet

# Reconnect to the Internet
# open Menu > Internet > Wicd Network Manager and Disconnect/Connect
If you want to use Wicd and not Network manager, then I think you have to execute the steps from # Remove NetworkManager. Notice that Wicd can not work with IPv6, any form of dialup, any form of VPN, any form of mobile broadband, and so on. It will allow you to use baseic IPv4 on supported Ethernet and Wi-Fi devices only. It's pretty much obsoleted.

Return to “Networking”