Wireless USB modem problem - TP-Link WN723N

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jbard

Wireless USB modem problem - TP-Link WN723N

Post by jbard »

Hi, I'm trying to get a wireless USB modem to connect to my wireless.

I am currently running Mint 13 64bit.

It will list all of the networks that are in range correctly, however it will not connect. Sometimes it asks for a password, but never successfully connects. This seems to happen with both WEP and WPA encryption. I can get this computer to connect with a different USB modem.

I have tried the same device on my netbook, which also runs Mint 13. It works correctly there, but it is the 32bit version of the OS. It also works on Windows 7.

lsmod seems to show both systems loading the same driver for the modem (rtl8192cu).

lsusb shows the device as "Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS".

The model number on the device is "WN723NV2".

Can anyone help please? :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jbard

Re: Wireless USB modem problem - TP-Link WN723N

Post by jbard »

I just discovered that the USB modem works if encryption is turned off on the wireless network.

Obviously that's not a good thing...
reang

Post by reang »

Hi,

I have the same problem, where I can see the networks, but cannot connect to them.

I have a TP-Link TL-WN725N.

It has the same device name, and the same driver is installed on my system.

inix -N gives me:

Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Card-2: Realtek RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN driver: rtl8192cu

Does anyone know how we should go about fixing this problem?

Thank you
reang

Post by reang »

I did some more searching and found these instructions: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1739743&page=2

After following the instructions, the wireless networks shows up, and I can connect to the network, but it seems that I do not have internet access:

> ping google.com
ping: unknown host google.com

So a bit better but still doesn't work the way it should
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

reang wrote:Hi,

I have the same problem, where I can see the networks, but cannot connect to them.

I have a TP-Link TL-WN725N.

It has the same device name, and the same driver is installed on my system.

inix -N gives me:

Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Card-2: Realtek RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN driver: rtl8192cu

Does anyone know how we should go about fixing this problem?

Thank you
As you have a TL-WN725N not a TL-WN723N it would be better to start a new thread with your question

Return to “Networking”