RTL8188CE Unstable Connection

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vinca

RTL8188CE Unstable Connection

Post by vinca »

Hello, I have a desktop with RTL8188CE. AFter about 20 minutes after a fresh boot, it will drop from fully-working connection to a bad connection of about 1 mbps. Terrible ping, bad experience. I read about some similar problems with similar cards in laptops. Google it, they're not hard to find.

I think that my solution is to switch to the ndiswrapper windows driver. Tell me if you agree, and how to do it? I'm not sure how to switch to it, because my current driver is partially working, or which driver to choose from the Realtek site (32 xp, 64 win vista) who knows.

Please and thanks in advance.

jcarrz1
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: RTL8188CE Unstable Connection

Post by remoulder »

vinca wrote:switch to the ndiswrapper windows driver
Yes might be your best option. See http://forums.linuxmint.com/search.php? ... mit=Search for similar issues. To use the Windows driver go to Windows Wireless Drivers in the menu and point at the Windows drivers files. Note these have to be the .inf and .sys files, not a Windows .exe file.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Probably a better option is downloading the driver for RTL8188CE from Realtek's website.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/DOWNLOADS/dow ... loads=true

It's the top-most one under Unix(Linux).
If it still fails when this driver is installed, you could try ndiswrapper indeed.

If you have 32-bit Linux then you need a 32-bit Win driver for ndiswrapper - and if you have 64-bit Linux you need a 64-bit driver. I'd first try XP (if there is one for your system - there are often no 64-bit drivers for XP systems), but the Vista driver is probably also working well. Note that you need to extract the .sys and .inf files out of the driver which may not be easy.
A better option is maybe finding the driver on your Windows partition in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository.
Here you'll find a folder named net8192se or something like that. You can copy all contents of the folder with that name from FileRepository, to somewhere on your Linux system. You can then add the .inf file using Windows Wireless Drivers in the menu. Maybe you need to install ndiswrapper-dkms from the Software Manager.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
vinca

Post by vinca »

Thanks both of you for your help. I'm trying the official linux one now.

I'll try that "pull from windows idea" too, I do coincidentally have windows on another ssd in this machine. Just curious, when I use ndiswrapper-gtk to import the driver, is that all I have to do? How do I know it's not using the linux one anymore?
vinca

Post by vinca »

official realtek driver is no better. I made sure I was using it by these steps:

1. installed as per instructions, no problem. I realized that I had no idea to tell whether i was running it.
2. Lsmod, observe, and then I uninstalled it. The same lsmods were no longer there and no rtl-related modules remained in modprobe for this device.
3. Reinstalled. Wifi works, same issue.

Tried ndiswrapper: lsmod lists device, used by 0. Thx for suggestion to pull from windows, hardware found: yes. Modprobed it, made sure module was loaded, showed in lsmod, rebooted... what am I doing wrong?

back to broken realtek for now.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please post the output of sudo mintwifi and inxi -N. Maybe you need to install ndiswrapper-dkms from the software manager.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
joness31

Post by joness31 »

I have experienced that in situations when the driver does not get installed, it does help to install ndiswrapper because it works with a 32 bit Win driver equally well.

Return to “Networking”