[SOLVED] After updates "Network Manager not running..."

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] After updates "Network Manager not running..."

Post by jaderiver »

I am in a city where there is WiFi and trying to catch up on updates, etc., because I generally use dialup where I live, in rural area.

After Level 1 and 2 updates, everything seemed to be fine. I had also just downloaded Chrome.

Waited awhile to update Level 3 updates, because there were so many listed. After completing and then hibernating, everything still fine. But then, after complete reboot, "Network Manager not running..." :(

On terminal, tried:
service network-manager stop
rm /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state
service network-manager start

These last commands brought up window to configure VPN, but no wireless accounts listed to click on (although they were listed in Network Manager)

Now, other quirks starting to appear as well, such as not being able to access Network Manager at all!

What is happening and solutions? Mint 13 Mate was running beautifully until these updates. I am dual booting w/ WIN 7 to be able to communicate.

Thanks for help in advance.
jaderiver
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 21.2 MATE Victoria No longer dualbooting WIN 7 and surviving
T-Mobile 5G or 4GLTE hotspot
; WiFi/Tether to Android hotspot
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

Re: After Level 3 updates "Network Manager not running..."

Post by jaderiver »

Hi oobetimer...

Finally getting back to you w/ results of your suggestion after returning home. I was still troubleshooting the wireless issue, which popped up after installing updates, and checking results at the local library where there is WiFi.

Your suggestions to
sudo service network-manager start

did indeed stop "Network Manager not running" contextual menu while pointing to the NM applet on the task panel. But then, the "wireless connection" still did not list available networks, but stated "device not managed." Grrr... :( Terminal said NM was running and listed job #, but nothing listed with the panel applet. To add insult to injury, after following instructions to make the terminal command permanent in gksudo pluma /etc/rc.local, the NM applet in the task panel disappeared altogether! :?

I was tempted to remove NM, and install wicd, but eventually found solution(s) on ubuntu forums:

First, reinstalled a new Network Manager (don't think I bothered to purge first); in terminal:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall network-manager network-manager-gnome

A) Then, in terminal:
sudo pluma /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

Change managed=false to managed=true.

B) Next, in terminal:
sudo pluma /etc/network/interfaces

Remove everything except:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

(One might want to save content before removing.)

Reboot. Applet reappears on task panel! Be sure to right-click applet and check "Enable Networking" and "Enable Wireless." I also deleted all other accounts in "Edit Connections" though not sure this step was necessary. In Network Manager, I checked "Enable roaming mode" for wireless.

Network Manager is working fine now, and the computer is working more efficiently than ever. :D For example, bootup no longer hangs on "Waiting for network configuration" & "Waiting up to 60 more seconds or network configuration."* Maybe the fixes enabled other updates to finally work.

Useful links for a more global understanding about "Device not managed" issue:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1998634&highlight=device+-managed
http://askubuntu.com/questions/71159/network-manager-says-device-not-managed
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1908691&highlight=device+-managed

Hopefully this information helps others with similar update issues.
Sincerely,
jadeforest

[* Tangent: Getting hung on boot messages "Waiting for network configurations" etc, can also be fixed this way:
In terminal:
sudo pluma /etc/init/failsafe.conf

>>>Add # (comment out) before every sleep command. There are four sleep commands. I did not have to do this after fixing Network Manager per above. Not sure why.]
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 21.2 MATE Victoria No longer dualbooting WIN 7 and surviving
djalecc
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] After updates "Network Manager not running..."

Post by djalecc »

Great Fix, thank you! Worked for my issue ( Wireless WiFi icon dissapeared from system tray ) this fix brings it back again :)
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jaderiver »

Great to hear the fix worked for you! Thank you so much for feedback on a topic written awhile ago and good to see you were able to still use the information.

jaderiver
pleurastic

Post by pleurastic »

Worked for a Dell Inspiron 5100, Broadcom 4306 (legacy). Thanks.
CorSakov

Post by CorSakov »

Worked great, thanks, jaderiver
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jaderiver »

So glad to see this older solution continues to help some of you :)

Thank you for your feedback.

Return to “Networking”