[SOLVED] How to install iwlwifi module in Maya 64-bit

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rogi86

[SOLVED] How to install iwlwifi module in Maya 64-bit

Post by rogi86 »

Hello,

I'm having trouble with my wireless card Intel(R) WiFi Link 6200. Drivers for this card are not installed and I need help installing them. I think I'll need to install iwlwifi modul but I don't know is it inculuded in kernel 3.2.
Can someone please help!! :(
Last edited by rogi86 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
viking777

Re: How to install iwlwifi module in Maya 64-bit

Post by viking777 »

To see if you have the module run this command:

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe -l | grep iwlwifi
(I am sure you will have it)

To see if it is loaded run this command:

lsmod | grep iwlwifiw
If it is not loaded then load it (temporarily) with this command:

sudo modprobe iwlwifi
If your wireless now works then let us know and we will tell you how to load the module on every boot, but we will see if it works first because this should happen automatically and if it doesn't then it is not guaranteed to work manually either.

sudo mintwifi 
might give you some more info as well.
helix

Post by helix »

I hope you have not got the same problem as I just had. My WiFi card was switched off when I installed Mint so it was not detected and no drivers loaded. The catch 22 snag is that it was impossible to switch it back on,because my laptop has a touch sensitive portion of the bezel above the keyboard. Without the driver this button does not work.
The solution was to go into the BIOS setup at boot time and select "Restore Defaults". This switches the WiFi card back on. The I did a fresh install because if I booted into the existing installation it switched the WiFi card back off again. Grrr!
Once the new installation was done I just had to run the "Additional Drivers" application and my problems were over.
For reference my card is a Broadcom 4312..
rogi86

Post by rogi86 »

helix wrote:I hope you have not got the same problem as I just had. My WiFi card was switched off when I installed Mint so it was not detected and no drivers loaded. The catch 22 snag is that it was impossible to switch it back on,because my laptop has a touch sensitive portion of the bezel above the keyboard. Without the driver this button does not work.
The solution was to go into the BIOS setup at boot time and select "Restore Defaults". This switches the WiFi card back on. The I did a fresh install because if I booted into the existing installation it switched the WiFi card back off again. Grrr!
Once the new installation was done I just had to run the "Additional Drivers" application and my problems were over.
For reference my card is a Broadcom 4312..
I think I made the same mistake!! On Ubuntu I had pressed Fn+F2 which turns off wireless. It is a hardware switch. Then I went to install mint and I notice I didn't had wireless neither bluetooth. Stupidly I hoped that it will come back if I install Mint 13. But when the installation finished nothing changed. Later I rediscovered hardware switch, but it just turned the bluetooth not the wireless card. So I think it might be a same problem. My system is new, so it's not a big problem, but firs I will try a wiking777 solution!
Let you know if something got chaged!
Thx a lot :D
rogi86

Post by rogi86 »

viking777 wrote:To see if you have the module run this command:

sudo modprobe -l | grep iwlwifi
(I am sure you will have it)

To see if it is loaded run this command:

lsmod | grep iwlwifiw
If it is not loaded then load it (temporarily) with this command:

sudo modprobe iwlwifi
If your wireless now works then let us know and we will tell you how to load the module on every boot, but we will see if it works first because this should happen automatically and if it doesn't then it is not guaranteed to work manually either.

sudo mintwifi 
might give you some more info as well.
iwlwifi wasn't loaded so I loaded how you wrote. After loading iwlwifi wireless didn't show up. I tried

sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
Here is my mintwifi overview:

sudo mintwifi
-------------------------
* I. scanning WIFI PCI devices...
  -- Broadcom Corporation Device 4365 (rev 01)
      ==> PCI ID = 14e4:4365 (rev 01)
* II. querying ndiswrapper...
netrtle : driver installed
	device (10EC:8136) present (alternate driver: r8169)
* III. querying iwconfig...
ppp0      no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

* IV. querying ifconfig...
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:234 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:234 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:21042 (21.0 KB)  TX bytes:21042 (21.0 KB)

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol  
          inet addr:31.147.38.72  P-t-P:10.64.64.64  Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:2756 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:2152 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:3 
          RX bytes:3013906 (3.0 MB)  TX bytes:255063 (255.0 KB)

* V. querying DHCP...
* VI. querying nslookup google.com...
Server:		127.0.0.1
Address:	127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	google.com
Address: 209.85.148.113
Address: 209.85.148.139
Address: 209.85.148.102
Address: 209.85.148.100
Address: 209.85.148.101
Address: 209.85.148.138
BTW: iwlwifi wasn't by default in the system, so I installed later! Curently I don't have eth0 and wlan0!
This is my new DELL Insprion N5720 17r which came with Ubuntu 11.10 preinstalled. On Ubuntu wireless works and I think is using iwlang module insted and is identified as eth1 insted of wlan0 :?:
viking777

Post by viking777 »

If you have switched off wireless in hardware then installing the kernel driver will not make any difference. To check this you should run the command:

sudo rfkill list all
If any result from that command says "blocked yes" then run:

sudo rfkill unblock all
rogi86

Post by rogi86 »

viking777 wrote:If you have switched off wireless in hardware then installing the kernel driver will not make any difference. To check this you should run the command:

sudo rfkill list all
If any result from that command says "blocked yes" then run:

sudo rfkill unblock all
I just switched it off during installation! After a while I figured it out and switched it back, but only a bluetooth start working and wireless didn't!

sudo rfkill list all
0: dell-wifi: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
1: dell-bluetooth: Bluetooth
On Ubuntu 11.10 there is one more device shown:

sudo rfkill list all
0: dell-wifi: Wireless LAN
1: dell-bluetooth: Bluetooth
2: phy0: Wireless LAN
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Putting the pci id number of your device into search leads me to believe two things, firstly it doesn't use the iwlwifi driver it uses bcmwl and secondly there is a current bug with your laptop version that makes it incompatible with Ubuntu 12.04 and therefore mint maya. Although strangely it works with Ubuntu 11.10 :?

This is the bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/923809

You can see from that report that they are calling for the version number of bcmwl to be upgraded from its present version and also that the latest information on this bug is only 3 days old.

You can install bcmwl-kernel-source from the package manager and try it if you want, but it seems from the report that the version available there will not work with your machine.

Also see this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2014096

It seems you have three choices use mint lisa until a new driver is found, wait for a new driver without wireless internet or use ndiswrapper. (search for windows wireless drivers in the program menu then search for the windows driver 'inf' file and put its location into the windows wireless driver interface. Don't ask me where windows keeps 'inf' files I don't know).
rogi86

Post by rogi86 »

Ok. I'm on a Ubuntu 11.10 now on the same laptop (DELL Inspiron N5720) How do I find which driver is for my wireless card?? Can I just install this driver on Mint 13???
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
viking777

Post by viking777 »

rogi86 wrote:Ok. I'm on a Ubuntu 11.10 now on the same laptop (DELL Inspiron N5720) How do I find which driver is for my wireless card?? Can I just install this driver on Mint 13???
I think somebody would have done that by now if it worked. I don't know for certain what the problem is, but I guess something has changed between 11.10 and 12.04 which makes the older driver incompatible with the newer OS. Your options are as stated in my last post. Stick with Ubuntu 11.10 and keep an eye on that bug thread, when it has been fixed they will say so and you can just pick up the new driver and install that onto Mint13. Alternatively find a windows driver on the internet and use the 'inf' file in ndiswrapper.
rogi86

Post by rogi86 »

viking777 wrote:
rogi86 wrote:Ok. I'm on a Ubuntu 11.10 now on the same laptop (DELL Inspiron N5720) How do I find which driver is for my wireless card?? Can I just install this driver on Mint 13???
I think somebody would have done that by now if it worked. I don't know for certain what the problem is, but I guess something has changed between 11.10 and 12.04 which makes the older driver incompatible with the newer OS. Your options are as stated in my last post. Stick with Ubuntu 11.10 and keep an eye on that bug thread, when it has been fixed they will say so and you can just pick up the new driver and install that onto Mint13. Alternatively find a windows driver on the internet and use the 'inf' file in ndiswrapper.
Thank you very much. I will probably wait for them to solve problem because the wifi is not (yet) my primary way of connecting to internet! thx again!
DannyWR

Re: [SOLVED] How to install iwlwifi module in Maya 64-bit

Post by DannyWR »

Any solution for this yet?
ameriviking

Post by ameriviking »

Had the same problem installing Mint 17.2 KDE on my Elitebook 8440p. iwlwifi was installed correctly and I could not unblock the wifi hardware. Tried the suggestion to restore the BIOS to default and reboot. That solved it. Great thread! :D
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<moderator on>
Good to know that advice given for LM 13 Maya may still be valid on LM 17.x
Will close this thread nonetheless now, it had rested for 3 years, and it should not be revived in Dec. 2018 one more time. :wink:
</moderator off>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Networking”