(SOLVED) setup a TP-Link usb nano

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
geordiejohn

(SOLVED) setup a TP-Link usb nano

Post by geordiejohn »

hello because i had a bad wireless signal on my acer aspire 5536 laptop i bought a TP-Link usb nano model number-TL-WN722N but it comes with a setup cd for windows,i sent an email to them and they said i could get the driver for linux here- http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k_htc/
i need driver for my AR9271 and i downloaded firmware and backports but i am completely lost on how to install the driver,can someone please help me get my usb nano working ?
i am using linux mint 17.1 with mate
thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: setup a TP-Link usb nano

Post by AlbertP »

The TL-WN722N does not look like a "nano" device. It is a large USB Wifi dongle with an antenna. Are you sure you use this model?

The driver ath9k_htc and its associated firmware are preinstalled, the downloads on the Linux Wireless website are mostly meant for developers.

If you have bad signal quality with this driver, it is easy to fix. To do so, please open Terminal from the menu and run this command:

Code: Select all

gksudo pluma /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k_htc.conf
A text editor will open. In that text file please put this text:

options ath9k_htc nohwcrypt=1
Then please save the file and reboot.

If you have a different problem with the driver, please run the following command in terminal and post the output:

inxi -N
In that case, I would also like to know what you are seeing when you click the network/wifi icon in the tray. It should list the internal wifi & the USB wifi, each with a list of networks.

On Cinnamon editions of Mint, replace pluma by gedit in the terminal commands.
The fix for bad signal quality also works on other devices with Atheros AR9271 chip in them, such as the TP-Link TL-WN721N on which I used this procedure myself.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
geordiejohn

Post by geordiejohn »

john@john-Aspire-5536 ~ $ inxi -N
Network: Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k
Card-2: Broadcom NetLink BCM5784M Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3
Card-3: Atheros AR9271 802.11n driver: ath9k_htc
john@john-Aspire-5536 ~ $

i am currently getting 83% but it keeps dropping to 72%

when i click on the wifi icon i can see 2 geordiejohns which is my home network,i tried to take a screenshot of all the wifi connections but could not do it.
thank you.
geordiejohn

Post by geordiejohn »

i moved my laptop a bit further away from the router and now i am getting 54%
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If you make a screenshot using the Print Screen key on your keyboard, you can find the screenshot in your pictures folder. If you cannot post the image here, imgur.com can be used to share it (though uploading attachments on the forum itself is preferred).

For the internal wifi which also has an Atheros chip, there exists a comparable fix to improve signal quality.
For this, please run in terminal:

gksudo pluma /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf
In that text editor please put this text:

options ath9k nohwcrypt
Then please save the file and reboot.
geordiejohn

Post by geordiejohn »

thank you very much i am now getting 72%
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Does your internal wifi work now, or do you still want to get the TP-Link device working?

If you consider your problem solved please edit your first post in this topic, and add [SOLVED] to the title.

Return to “Networking”