Brother DCP-7055 printer failure

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nomko

Re: Brother DCP-7055 printer failure

Post by nomko »

SandrA wrote:localhost://631
My mistake, sorry. it has to be:

http://localhost:631
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

on my computer, to open CUPS: this is the link http://localhost:631/printers/ so try clicking on that link and see if it opens CUPS; see how many brother devices are listed there;

you do not have an entry for Brother in the scanner file so we need to create an entry there;

I will get back to this later
PDXMike

Post by PDXMike »

pdc_2 wrote:Hi Mike; welcome to the Mint forums

You write a most clear and organised post; it would really be best if you could start a new thread; it gets very hard to try to help two folks in the same thread;

If you could just copy and paste the very clear post you did: as a new thread, then you get your own day in the sun!
Thanks, pdc_2., I will do that next time around.

As it turns out, I got it to work on the machine it was connected to following instructions from Brother which I forgot to save the link to. It did involve installing the 32-bit libraries. Also, it had to be done in terminal - the instructions indicated that the driver could not be installed from the software manager (or whatever app it was). In addition, there were a number (about 6 to 8) of prerequisite steps to follow. I really need to find that page again!

Now I'm trying to get it to work from a second machine I just recently upgraded from Petra.. I may have to start a new thread about that one :wink:

Thanks

Mike
PDXMike

Post by PDXMike »

Hello SandrA

Here's the page that helped with my install: http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux ... ect=on#004

Just followed the applicable steps, though I think I may need to run the open port firewall command (pre-required step 9) to gain access from my other PC.

Good luck

Mike
SandrA

Post by SandrA »

Hi

I'm wondering whether at this point the only recourse is to re-install the OS and start again. If I do that would I be right to thinks that the steps pdc_2 outlined above -

to help, Brother make a Driver Install Tool so go here http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... all&os=128 and click to Download it; and select the SAVE option (instead of the Open With .. option)

if you copy these commands; line by line; and paste them line by line into a terminal; hit the ENTER key after each paste; use the mouse for the paste;

cd Downloads
gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1.gz
sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1 DCP-7055

- selecting the .deb file in that, should lead to a clean printer & scanner instalation?

Ever hopeful,

Sandra
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

the great thing of linux is free choice Sandra; and if you have saved important personal files, it is your computer to put a new install on as you wish; then do the Brother install as advised, and let us know how it all goes; (the Brother install tool does well, and should do the scanner too)
PDXMike

Post by PDXMike »

FWIW, the last thing I did before I resolved this issue was to temporarilly shutting down the firewalls on both the Windows and Linux machines. I am running Norton Security Suite on the Windows machine. I was then able to see the windows machine from the Linux PC and access shared files and printers. I was also able to bring up the printer in CUPS. After I restarted the firewalls I was able to continue accessing the printer.

YMMV

Mike H
SandrA

Post by SandrA »

Hi

After a lull due to work pressure I've finally come back to this project. So, I've done a clean install of LMC17, erasing previous data on the drive. Then I followed the procedure above, i.e.:

Brother make a Driver Install Tool so go here http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... all&os=128 and click to Download it; and select the SAVE option (instead of the Open With .. option)

if you copy these commands; line by line; and paste them line by line into a terminal; hit the ENTER key after each paste; use the mouse for the paste;

cd Downloads
gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1.gz
sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1 DCP-7055

- selecting the .deb file in that

Other than agreeing to licenses the only options I was given in the installation process were 'will you specifiy the device URI' to which I answered no, and 'test print?' to which I said yes.

I then got the message 'unable to resolve host address 'www.brother.com''

I've ended up with 3 entries under Printers - localhost: Brother_DCP_7055; DCP7055; DCP_7055. Selecting any of these to print a test document either results in no prints but a message to say printing has completed (as happened the last time I tried to get this working). Or it produces the message 'could not start'. I've tried unplugging the printer, re-booting from Restart and a cold start: no change.

If a clean install of LMC17 and following standard driver installation procedures fails I'm now wondering if anyone has experience of getting this particular printer to work on a different Linux build?

Or, has anyone experience of getting a reasonably economical laser printer of whatever brand to work on LMC17?

Crucially, for either option, I want to be able to use the Linux install as a networked print server, Bonjour-style.

Infinite thanks for any help anyone can give,

Sandra
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi Sandra; welcome back

so I went back and read all the posts:

I understand: the Brother device is connected via usb; you have 32bit system; and from the data you kindly supplied; it would seem the Brother printer drivers are installed;

so I would say: good: drivers installed;

what about you paste
system-config-printer
into a terminal (or hold the button Alt down and press F2 as well............ a dialogue box opens ...............)

that gives a GUI box; it should have an Add button at top left: click on that; does the system spot your Brother printer? It should just install it for you if it spots it; and it is connected by usb:

previously the device URI was reported by you as being
direct usb://Brother/DCP-7055?serial=E69740G1N747811
but you shouldn't need to type or paste that: the system should see it there .........

if I hand back to you at this stage .............
SandrA

Post by SandrA »

Dear pdc2

Thank you so much for your detailed look at this issue and your encouraging feedback.

Following your advice I added a printer, selecting DCP7055 for CUPS from the driver list. Terminal ran through hundreds of lines of error messages s.a. 'ID 1313 was not found when attempting to remove it GLib.source_remove (self.populatelist_timer)' until I stopped it and rebooted.

Trying a test print produced 'Could not start printer ... check connection'.

So I tried your procedure again selecting the recommended driver DCP-7045N from the list even though this is not my model. Same result: printer is still not being found.

Obstinate this, isn't it? :)

S
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Terminal ran through hundreds of lines of error messages
...........sounds to me like your system is .......... not the wellest !! You need to find a linux user group to get someone to look at your computer: which country are you in?
SandrA

Post by SandrA »

My Linux PC has no problem printing via my Mac Bonjour server setup. However at this point I clearly have to give up on the Linux server idea.

It's been a pleasure to experience the support of this forum. Many thanks again for all the feedback.

x Sandra

Return to “Printers & Scanners”