failing to boot after memory upgrade

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
msnealer

failing to boot after memory upgrade

Post by msnealer »

Hi

I have an old acer aspire 5736z. (Pentium t4500 2.3ghz) It works fine on mint 17 xfce, however I decided to upgrade the memory. I got 2 4gb memory chips from amazon, however the laptop boot mega slowly if I have anything over 4 and x-server fails.

The memory chips are ok, and the bios has no issue and sees all 8. memory checks also seem to run fine.

I looked up the specs and it says the machine can only have a max of 4gb, but I have seem others with more and I was able to purchase more. I am currently using just one of the 4gb chips and all is ok.

Any ideas

Marc
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: failing to boot after memory upgrade

Post by nomko »

If your system can't handle more than 4 GiB memory, then IMHO there's no point in adding more memory since your system can't handle it as you already confirmed:
I got 2 4gb memory chips from amazon, however the laptop boot mega slowly if I have anything over 4 and x-server fails.
I looked up the specs and it says the machine can only have a max of 4gb, but I have seem others with more and I was able to purchase more. I am currently using just one of the 4gb chips and all is ok.
So, basically, again, there's no point adding more memory.
msnealer

Post by msnealer »

There are windows drivers available to improve performance on systems with 6 and 8gb of mem so there are users with over 4, and the BIOS has no issue at all with the memory.

At the same time the system does boot with 8gb of memory, but the performance is stupid and x-server will not work.

Thus i would like to know what limits the system to 4GB and can I bypass it. The CPU specs dont seem to limit this, nor does the motherboard from what I can see
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

msnealer wrote:I looked up the specs and it says the machine can only have a max of 4gb
msnealer wrote:CPU specs dont seem to limit this, nor does the motherboard from what I can see
Sounds like a contradiction.
msnealer wrote:There are windows drivers available to improve performance on systems with 6 and 8gb of mem
You have read this or you tested it? The source of this drivers are where? From the manufacturer of the pc or an non-official source?
nomko

Post by nomko »

msnealer wrote:There are windows drivers available to improve performance on systems with 6 and 8gb of mem so there are users with over 4, and the BIOS has no issue at all with the memory.

At the same time the system does boot with 8gb of memory, but the performance is stupid and x-server will not work.

Thus i would like to know what limits the system to 4GB and can I bypass it. The CPU specs dont seem to limit this, nor does the motherboard from what I can see
This sounds like total crap. I stand with Cosmo's reactions!
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

There are windows drivers available ...
So what? This is Linux and those drivers won't work.

All the specs I could find through searches says the machine is limited to 4GB of memory.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Mmsnealer wrote:I looked up the specs and it says the machine can only have a max of 4gb, but I have seem others with more and I was able to purchase more. I am currently using just one of the 4gb chips and all is ok.
Mark Phelps wrote:All the specs I could find through searches says the machine is limited to 4GB of memory.
Correct! Whatever the BIOS says, if your motherboard cannot support more than 4 GiB there's no point in putting in more RAM since your motherboard doesn't support it as i said already above. Placing more RAM will have any kind of negative reaction on your system performance and/or functioning.

Return to “Hardware Support”