Using TV for monitor

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jbander

Using TV for monitor

Post by jbander »

I have a 32 inch Newer visio TV with HDMI connection on it , I Can get a Video card (Geforce 8400 gs) for $19 which has HDMI, then it will be a direct connection between the Computer and TV. Am I going to have any trouble using the 32" TV as a Monitor. I read that you have to switch the tv switch over to Computer, I see no switch where I can do that.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Using TV for monitor

Post by pdc_2 »

we have a 24" Samsung computer monitor and a more recent 32" Samsung LCD TV;

I have connected the Samsung TV to our box computer running Mint; and it connects fine:
I read that you have to switch the tv switch over to Computer
On our Samsung TV that would mean finding the SOURCE button on the remote control; clicking it; and selecting from the options...........ie TV, VCR, DVD.......computer........whatever else you have joined to the screen
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

If you're connecting via HDMI, you don't want to use Computer. That's usually a VGA connection. Look in your manual for the source options as pdc_2 said.
If your TV has a VGA in, then you probably don't even need the GPU. If you want a GPU then, by all means get one.
Also, a 8400GS wouldn't be my first choice. I would spring for at least the GT 210 or GT 610 if you want nVidia. It uses less power and is slightly more powerful. I prefer AMD cards, but I must admit the nVidia drivers are better. You should also get a passively cooled card (no fan) unless you like constant fan noise. They will use slightly less power than the ones with fans.
jbander

Post by jbander »

I can get a gforce gt 520 hdmi quite cheap how does that rate.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

its as good or better than the options I gave you.

Return to “Hardware Support”